If you are a vet . . . . .

Vietnam era Vet, traveled all over Asia for 3.5 yrs, spent my share of time in country. Came home with a whole different attitude about war than I had when I went in at 18. There is a reason young people fight wars. When someone says thanks for your service, I say your welcome, and not much else. Mike

To those of you that served, I think the world of you.
I would echo that sentiment and appreciate the chance to hear some honest answers to this question.

Back in Michigan I'm a member of the local Sons of AmVets. I would hope all of us will do our part to support our veterans no matter how, why or where they served. I appreciate that my contributions often go to folks who are too proud to ask for help even though they deserve it. I think sometimes people who have served know there are others whose needs are even greater.

John

A story. During Linebacker II, we TDY'd from Kadena to Tahkli RTAFB. Worked F/L and Pod Shop, Vaarks from Nellis came in but their guys never worked on ALQ-87s so one of our guys started teaching basic alignment/maintenance. Bill grabs me to look at a pod for no output signal on the spectrum analyzer. Yep, no signal. Looked at current draw, modulator, power tube drive all good, no signal. Clicked thru the bands on the spectrum analyzer and found the signal waaaay down in freq, ahh. Bill, gimme a hammer. Tapped the pod near the suspect power tube, bingo got signal. This had the Nellis crowd in stitches. So it was a bad power tube (BWO). Bill is a very talented tech, knew how to use the test / support equipment. He did everything right, but until you experience those rare instances it will drive you nuts. I did explain to Bill what caused the malfunction. Kinda miss Bill, he was the best straight guy for practical jokes.

We Jam the SAM,
super out

From my Dad, a Bataan Death March survivor, and a Korean Infantry vet, through 3 brothers, two of them had two tours a piece in RVN in the infantry, a sister and my service, our family put in 120 years of service.

I could take the thank-you-for-service gesture, but sometimes, as someone mentioned, it loses its sincerity, it is just an automatic reaction, like "have a nice day."

It meant the most coming from the HMFIC of the 67th TFS (EF-4C Wild Weasels). Kadena had been "Organizational" maintenance, meaning each shop would dispatch to a broke bird. We were the first to be assigned to a fighter squadron. These were truly broke dick birds. It was a solid 45 days of bust ass for FMC. Everyone helped each other, swapped jet engines, rag wrench, RADAR, INS, COMM, you name it. This Lt Col. came out to both shifts and thanked us. That meant something.

Uniformed services, I know of 8. Branches of the military, or armed forces IE, those that come under the command of the Secretary of Defense, I get 6 (Used to be 5, welcome to those brothers in arms that have their heads in the clouds). I have lost count trying to count all the forces that help to defend and secure our great nation.

I do appreciate a thank you every now and then, but I prefer the conversations that are drummed up in parking lots, etc when someone sees my Desert Storm license plate, or I see someone else’s combat theater plate.

Personally, I don't like it when strangers say "thank you for your service". The first thought I have every single time is.. seventeen year old me was not thinking of you when I waved my right hand in the air. I get the sentiment, but it usually comes across as being said out of some perceived obligation. I feel very differently when it is said by someone that knows me or when we are talking about what it was like spending eleven years of my life under the surface of the ocean. I don't have or wear anything that readily identifies me as a veteran, either. It's definitely not a primary part of my identity these days. Just my two cents. I know some people really appreciate it.

Back