If You Built a Reloading Press...

I have been through a few presses from an old cast iron Herters that was passed down to me until it broke to what I currently use, the Forester Coax. I really like that press. However, like it sound like you are, I'm always thinking that something could be better.

Then just the other day i stumbled onto this. At $1200, no way i will buy one but they go into detail in their video and i suspect they will more once they make more videos of it. It looks to be well engineered to minimize the issues I'd try to fix if I built one. I'm just kicking it around right now, but seriously contemplating trying to build something similar.

The Co-Ax style presses would be the most adaptable to a home build. There is a reason so many use heavy cast iron and O frame bodies though. It is stiff and strong. While my Dillon says it can load magnum rifle loads when I load rifle ammo I still size in the old RCBS Rock Chucker. There is a crazy amount of force in that last fraction of an inch when sizing large rifle cases...

This video comparing 14 different presses looks like a good source of info.
This was very enlightening. Earlier, I had drafted another three column design, and in the video, there was the Turbun CNC. While I expected amazing results the way he talked it up and the $950 price tag, I was truly surprised that the rock chucker Supreme and summit exceeded it on neck sizes.

I was also surprised the forster coax came in last with the total inch run out at the tip. I was under the impression from my competition brother in law that the coax was the cream of the crop.

There was an article link in the video description. That article provided good numbers (the various run out measurements were what I was interested in), as well as how they flowed in using them.

https://ultimatereloader.com/2019/0...ng-presses-compared-single-stage-shootout/15/

I think i may need to just pick up a rock chucker Supreme. As good as the summit was, the Supreme had nearly as good of results, and still had other features.

Thanks!

joe

Just to circle back, one can definitely design a press that can handle the pressures needed, and be as accurate as the dies. For the common reloader, a pre built press will just do what is needed. If you are getting heavily into long range competition, and if you can machine it properly, i think one could potentially built something highly accurate (to the point that the dies themselves are the limiting factors).

It was mentioned earlier about cam-over, etc. I really don't think that is as critical. After watching that video, the most critical pieces are getting axis centered better (bullet, neck and casing) and doing everything consistently. Maybe I will throw together a design and post it here, but I will take time to experiment with an RCBS.

joe

I started down this path when I got into reloading. I now have 4 purchased presses. I looked at it this way, I can buy a press and reload or I can spend the time machining a press in the hopes that I could reload. I have a Dillon, and Coax, and 2 lee presses, they all reload quality ammo. If you are new to reloading buy a small press and start reloading. Lean how to reload and if you are still interested in building your own press after you have learned on a factory press go for designing and building one of your own. Myself I gave up the idea of building a press. I do build accessories for the presses that I can not purchase. I use all my presses even the Lee single stage. I have more time to go to the range, reload ammo, and more time to build engines in the shop.

I get the part about wanting to build a 'better mousetrap'. There is a lot of enjoyment in planning, designing and making your own stuff. It is a fun way to learn.
However I think that the press is not that critical for extremely small groups. Very accurate ammo can be made without using a press at all. The quality of the brass and how it is prepared (neck turning, annealing, etc.) is much more important. Forcing a case into a quality die in a very accurate and consistent manner does not garantee that each case will come out the same. The most important quality of a press to me is how much feel there is when using it.
A press makes it easier and quicker to reload ammo but I fail to see how extreme precision in a press translates into smaller groups. There are different schools of thought about what counts and what does not. Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to measure the impact on grouping of each individual piece of equipment and technique that we use.

Last edited:
I have to agree with Tozguy, a press does not have to be complicated nor precise as that $1200 boat anchor to make precise ammo. Some 25 yrs. ago I wanted a portable press that I could take to the range with me to work load development and to load at the matches. At the time I had 2 Lee presses bolted to a plate, which I clamped to the bench. One for sizing, one for seating. After the first season, these presses developed enough wear and tear that they wouldn't stay in adjustment, and not only that they were cumbersome. After several ideas, I came up with a version that was portable, simple, and made accurate ammo.
DSC02338.JPG
This was based on a Lee 3 hole turret, and has an integral clamp to attach the bench. I later added a post to support a powder measure and a primer tool. After my shooting buddies saw this they had to have one, so I made a production run of around 50 units. I actually sold some to Walt Berger and Jim Carmichael, and Walt's late wife Eunice used one when she won the Super Shoot back in 1999.
This press only has a limitation of a 2-1/2 stroke, which is fine for short cartridges such as 6PPC and BR, but I have loaded 22-250 on it. I was requested to make a larger unit, but I found an easier way. When Lee came out with the Classic cast iron turret press, it was easier just to modify it to accommodate the needs.
DSC02000.JPG
By adding a clamping arm, it made it just as portable as the smaller press, with the ram stroke that would work for longer cartridges.
DSC02342.JPG
Another thing that needed modified was the linkage, because it limited the stroke and prevented it from dwelling on top dead center.
ctp2.jpg
Some work with the mill got it correct.
ctp1.jpg

However I think that the press is not that critical for extremely small groups. Very accurate ammo can be made without using a press at all. The quality of the brass and how it is prepared (neck turning, annealing, etc.) is much more important. Forcing a case into a quality die in a very accurate and consistent manner does not garantee that each case will come out the same. The most important quality of a press to me is how much feel there is when using it.
A press makes it easier and quicker to reload ammo but I fail to see how extreme precision in a press translates into smaller groups. There are different schools of thought about what counts and what does not. Unfortunately it is extremely difficult to measure the impact on grouping of each individual piece of equipment and technique that we use.

The precision of the press affects seating depth and concentricity. Seating depth may be the most crucial thing to control for accuracy, and BR shooters go to extremes to control concentricity. Case forming is probably the least important, up until you size necks for tension and neck thickness uniformity. It seems the more x-ring you want to hit, the more you have to tighten up what you do on the bench, and if you shoot with a notepad and a chronograph you will see what's important to pay attention to printed in readable little holes on paper. Of course if you can't read the wind or count clicks, there's no point in the added effort.

This video comparing 14 different presses looks like a good source of info.

I was just about to post this video. It goes into the good and bad points of several different presses.

I think you are correct... you can easily spend two or four times the cost of a press building one yourself and not come up with something that is actually better. The Lee classic cast press can be purchased for about $140 and should be all you will ever need for a single stage press. The RCBS Rock Chucker is also a great and affordable single stage press. I have the Rock Chucker which I seldom use because I do most of my reloading on a Dillon 650 progressive press. The Forster Coax press is a nice press but expensive and in my opinion isn't what I would buy for a first press.

I would suggest purchasing a press then using your machining skills to make the hundreds of little goodies that go along with it. All the accessories the come with the kits are barely of the quality to get you started and you will find you will want to replace most of these in pretty short order. For example, a case trimmer for rifle cartridges should be a very fun project when you get to needing one.

Someone that has never reloaded trying to build a better reloading press, I would politely suggest that this would be like someone that has never seen a mouse trying to build a better mouse trap.

P.S. The number 1 place to improve accuracy is to find the best powder charge for your particular rifle / bullet combo. This has nothing to do with the press you are using. For 99% of the shooters you can pretty much stop there and skip the ever diminishing accuracy improvement chase. Until you dial in the powder charge for the bullet / rifle combo everything else is inconsequential.

Last edited:
Back