If you lock the chuck, it still won't spin when the motor is on

tundrawolf

Registered
Registered
I know. I turned the motor on three times in three different occasions with the chuck locked yesterday (yesterday was my first time operating a metal lathe)

And each time the chuck didn't spin.

FYI for all the guys wondering, I do the work so you don't have to

?? Are you talking about the backgears?
M

No, there's a lever behind ways that you flip upwards to luck the chuck I believe to make it easier to turn the chuck key. I forgot to flip it back down before putting power to the motor -_-

Sounds like the backgear lever but you also need to pull the pin to engage that mode- if you don't have the manual of lathe operation for that machine you should download it
Mark

Sounds like the backgear lever but you also need to pull the pin to engage that mode- if you don't have the manual of lathe operation for that machine you should download it
Mark

No it's a separate locking mechanism independent of the lead screw gear group, it can lock the chuck when the lead screw transmission is in neutral

Got a pic, what kind of lathe is it ?. I’ve never seen a locking chuck, pic’s

From another post of yours, you have an Atlas/Craftsman 6" lathe.

Atlas has two means of driving the spindle; direct and back gear. In direct mode. the back gear lever is moved to the rear to disengage the gears and the bull gear is engaged by sliding the pin on the gear inward to lock the gear to the pulley. In back gear mode, pull the bull gear pin out to disengage and move the back gear lever forward to engage the gears. With both the pin in and the lever forward, the spindle is locked. With the pin out and the lever rearward, the spindle is free spinning.

While locking the spindle via the back gear lever does permit you to remove the chuck, it also puts strain on the gears and in the case of a stuck chuck could result in breaking teeth on the gears.

I am smiling. I did this on my wood lathe several time. The wood lathe has an index feature which can be used for indexing or to lock the chuck. I often forgot I had engaged the index, so finally used a small 'frig magnet to hold a piece of masking tape with "LOCKED" written as a reminder.
These days if I engage the index, I place the piece of tape over the "ON" button as a reminder.

NOVA_index_lock_reminder_8475.jpg

I also kept forgetting to tension the blade on my wood bandsaw, someone mentioned making a block of wood to place in front of the blade to remind you before starting the bandsaw. Now I do not forget. If I forgot to tension the blade, it would come off the wheels. A PITA when it happens.

Bandsaw_blade_tension_reminder_8476.jpg

I am smiling. I did this on my wood lathe several time. The wood lathe has an index feature which can be used for indexing or to lock the chuck. I often forgot I had engaged the index, so finally used a small 'frig magnet to hold a piece of masking tape with "LOCKED" written as a reminder.
These days if I engage the index, I place the piece of tape over the "ON" button as a reminder.

View attachment 253154

I also kept forgetting to tension the blade on my wood bandsaw, someone mentioned making a block of wood to place in front of the blade to remind you before starting the bandsaw. Now I do not forget. If I forgot to tension the blade, it would come off the wheels. A PITA when it happens.

View attachment 253155

That's a great idea! (humor)But I'm more impressed your lathe has a Digital Video Recorder! The remote kinda looks like a garage door opener, though(/humor)

I did not think about the alternate versions of the DVR acronym. LOL The wood lathe manufacturer calls this "Digital Variable Reluctance" motor.

Well spotted. The remote in the bandsaw picture is a garage door opener. The bandsaw is next to my garage doors. Saves me walking all the way back to the other end of the garage where I have the wired switches.

Back