If you need gears... Print them...

See, I always thought you were spoiled when you were a youngster. Now you admitted it!! :eek:

I'll tell y'a Terry, I was indeed spoiled to have that Lathe. It was a gear-head (not servo shift) and it could cut! Naive as I was, I thought everybody's dad had one in their garage. Funny thing though, in this day/age, if "child services" knew that some kid was using a 4000lb, 10HP machine, the father would be taken away in handcuffs.

Ray

I am really curious as to how many hours of service printed gears like that will give...my tumbler gears are about shot and I have been looking at replacing them. For the cost of them I am more or less halfway to a low end 3D printer...and I have LOTS of ideas for 3D printing.

I am really curious as to how many hours of service printed gears like that will give...my tumbler gears are about shot and I have been looking at replacing them. For the cost of them I am more or less halfway to a low end 3D printer...and I have LOTS of ideas for 3D printing.

LOL: There was a hidden message in your post. Enjoy the 3D printer... Let us know what one you settle on.

Ray

If you would rather not buy a printer, I could print a couple gears for people. But don't let that stop you from getting one, they are great tools to have around. :)

If you want me to print things, you need to be able to supply STLs. I don't have time to do gear designs from scratch. :D

It is all about justifying it to the 'budget department...';)

If you would rather not buy a printer, I could print a couple gears for people. But don't let that stop you from getting one, they are great tools to have around. :)

If you want me to print things, you need to be able to supply STLs. I don't have time to do gear designs from scratch. :D

Are the files Clif linked above compatible with your equipment?

It is all about justifying it to the 'budget department...';)

I know how that goes, all too well. :)

Are the files Clif linked above compatible with your equipment?

Yes, I can print those. I just often get people thinking I can print what's in their head. Though I guess a bunch of machinists would understand that better than most. :)

BTW files and info here;

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:143893/#files

A printable spindle thread protector here;

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2585891

For those that don't have an 3D printer. You might want to check your local UPS store.

While taking a package to UPS store Lisle, IL a few weeks ago. I noticed that they provided a 3D printing service using ABS plastic, all they needed is an STL file (which the above link provides) to give price of part to print.

I was told by the owner that a few other UPS stores provided this service, but he told he could print and ship.

Just so that everyone knows that there ain't no such thing as a free lunch, in general order of decreasing strength and longevity, gears made of various common materials are generally as follows"

Steel
Cast Iron (in some cases this one can be below Zamak)
Zamak
Machined or molded Delrin or Nylon (I'm not sure of the actual order for these four types)
Printed Delrin with Kevlar reinforcing (I'm told that printers start at around $10K)
Printed Delrin.

Which isn't to say that you shouldn't use printed Delrin. Just be prepared for more frequent replacements.

Back