IGaging DRO EMI Problem

Those 3 devices could be the main power switches for the VFD output. If so, there's plenty of switching noise running around that part of the board. However, since you moved the wall-wart to a more remote power plug and still had a problem, it seems unlikely that the proximity to the VFD is the cause of your problem.

If you've got more of those ferrite cores lying around try putting one around the AC line going to the VFD. It could be sending a lot of noise back into the AC mains. You also can get power line filters for not a lot of money. I have one & tried it on my mill but unfortunately that didn't cure my problem.....

I agree that a regulated linear supply would be preferable to a switcher for the dro power. Or maybe even just a transformer-style wall wart followed by a three terminal regulator like a LM317 device
-Mark
As a test you could try some batteries at the end of the cables in place of the switcher- if it works then you know the supply is suspect. If not then you know the emi is being picked up directly by the cables, acting like antennas

If you get some improvement with the ferrite core, try coiling up the wire so it goes several times thru the hole and see if it improves even further

Last edited:
If you've got more of those ferrite cores lying around try putting one around the AC line going to the VFD. It could be sending a lot of noise back into the AC mains.
I did move the ferrite core there and no change, but I think it is pretty clear there is back EMI fed into my entire shop AC supply by the VFD because of the earlier test isolating the wall wart to a different shop circuit and cable still creating interference.
As a test you could try some batteries at the end of the cables in place of the switcher- if it works then you know the supply is suspect. If not then you know the emi is being picked up directly by the cables, acting like antennas
Thanks for this suggestion. I had forgotten I had this auxiliary battery pack for mobile phones given to me several years ago. I don’t think I’ve ever used it but when I was rooting around for wall warts and cables and saw a 5vdc battery source with two USB ports, I knew what to do with it. It certainly looks the part.

6 Battery.jpg

I couldn’t find an old transformer style 5vdc wall wart laying around but I don’t think it matters because I’ve all but convinced myself the problem is the power cables that plug into that wart are probably unshielded antennas and I literally have four feet of those two cables taped side by side with the DRO control cables. As further aggravation, there is an additional two feet of the power cables coiled up in the electrical enclosure in a 3” diameter coil which may be a good receiver.

7 Coiled Cable.JPG

So I charged it and plugged in the power cables while holding it in my hand and used a loose cable to connect to the DRO away from the VFD and cables. It powered them fine with and without the VFD powered up . Same thing when I connected the cables in the cabinet without the VFD powered up but as soon as I powered up the VFD down went the DROs. The odd thing was, even when I disconnected the barrel jacks at the DROs, they still were scrambled unless I disconnected the battery at the other end. So then I plugged the cables back into the battery and started changing the position of the power cables in the enclosure and when I pulled the battery and 3” coil of excess power cable out of the electrical enclosure, the DROs recovered, but I still could not plug the barrel jacks into the DRO and run them off the remote battery through the cables.

This is more of an intellectual curiosity, but does the cable radiate more when it’s also energized…..even with just 5vdc? Because when the battery is disconnected and the cables inside the enclosure, they don’t broadcast enough to take down the DROs.

So, a number of options here, but I may need to decide how much effort I want to put into solving an EMI problem for what may not be much of a battery problem. I’ve done more for less…..but not recently :surrender:.
  1. I could remove the additional two feet of power cable coil by either cutting it out or just move it to the other end at the DROs, shield the power cable with braided sleeve, and/or simply route the power cables separately from the control cables instead of tightly joined to them. There may still be a conducted problem with the wall wart if I do that. I have a 12vdc to 5 vdc converter typical of what’s used for cars, RVs, ATVs, etc and I suspect my little 12vdc power supply has a relatively clean dc output. I see a small onboard transformer and that tachometer circuit has no issues. Not sure I want to resort to circuit board surgery. I don't have fine soldering equipment.
  2. I bet I could power those DROs a long, long, time with that battery pack, and just mount it on the backside of the DRO displays with a short stub cable to each DRO. Problem would be if I could remember to turn it off…LoL.
Best,
Kelly

The coiled-up cable probably is acting like an inductive pickup. The noise pickup increases as the coil diameter increases, so shortening it as much as possible (to eliminate the coiled-up cable) would minimize the noise (but perhaps not enough). Your rechargeable battery should keep the DROs running a long time so if it works for you, you're golden.

Eliminating noise can be a bear -- every situation is different, and the noise can come from different sources. Ground loops, electromagnetic noise, you name it. In the end, experimenting and keeping track of what does and doesn't help is about the only way to address the problem. And don't ignore what Lady Serendipity hands you.

You definitely should separate the power cables from the control cables. That I consider a must-do. Then, perhaps, shortening the excess cable and adding some ferrite cores might get you there.
Homebrewed is absolutely right- there is no set way to do this. You might need only one fix or several. Often, in industry (where I dealt with this a lot) a circuit would work fine as a rat's nest mess but not after tidying up. I cut off a lot of ty-wraps tracking problems like these.
Having access to a wideband oscilloscope can get you there faster but it doesn't eliminate the need for experimentation
-Mark

Last edited:
I think you found the problem and missed it.
With battery power the DRO works, when powered they go crazy.
Move the warts to a receptacle away from the VFD controller.

i think you found the problem and missed it. With battery power the DRO works, when powered they go crazy. Move the warts to a receptacle away from the VFD controller.

Yah, you'd have to read up the thread Jim but I did that and there is obviously a conducted back-EMI problem from the VFD as well because I moved that wart to a completely different circuit within my shop via drop cord and loose DC power cable in "free air" away from the VFD and still had interference.....but thanks for the reply.

Best,
Kelly

Yah, you'd have to read up the thread Jim but I did that and there is obviously a conducted back-EMI problem from the VFD as well because I moved that wart to a completely different circuit within my shop via drop cord and loose DC power cable in "free air" away from the VFD and still had interference.....but thanks for the reply.

Best,
Kelly
Sorry, must have missed that.

Maybe I'm a bit out of line here but for all the tail chasing and the work involed why not just use the batteries? I have three installed on my lathe and two on my mill and don't go thru hardly any batteries. I purchase them on e bay by the 100 and are really inexpensive. Just my 2 cents sorry for butting in.

Maybe I'm a bit out of line here but for all the tail chasing and the work involed why not just use the batteries?
No worrys. The short answer is because I already had to run the control cables, had the wall wart, and the power cable extensions were only $4......so why not.......answer: because they introduce EMI/RFI. So why did iGaging provision the DRO with a power port?
......I have three installed on my lathe and two on my mill and don't go thru hardly any batteries. I purchase them on e bay by the 100 and are really inexpensive. Just my 2 cents sorry for butting
If you only have 5 DROs total on two machines, and you don't go through hardly any batteries, why to you buy them by the 100s?

Best,
Kelly

Back