iGAGING. how reliable?

T Bredehoft

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I read the following in a comment about one of their products.

I experienced the the slide moving up to .006" before the readout begins to respond. Movement to .020" results in reading of .017, then movement to .050" results in a readout of .034". Returning back to the .000" mark does not always result in actual zero. While the error is often repeatable in one direction, the return back, results in different errors. This DRO is always in error.

Is this typical?

Do you have ferrite chokes installed on the cables at the head unit? Some folks have reported EMI on those scales (read: VFD). I have not had any issues with the iGaging setup on my benchtop mill.

Mine has been flawless. Did a test in X,Y,Z and was within .001 and all returned exactly to 0. I didn't even put covers on them.

The only thing that's not that much fun is the batteries. But the new ones last way longer. Would have liked to get a power supply.

Don't know if it's related to your issue but the Mitutoyo scale I'm using for my mill quill came with isolation pads. Instructions say to use them in the event of erratic readings if mounted to bare metal (ground) on the machine. My read head is not in contact with bare metal but the mount for the scale is. I have not needed to use the isolation pads though.

I have them on two of my lathes and both of my milling machines for several years and they have been great. Every so often you need to take a little thinner of some kind and wipe them down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did have an issue with my X axis on my mill giving weird readings. Cleaned it and the readings have been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the following in a comment about one of their products.

I experienced the the slide moving up to .006" before the readout begins to respond. Movement to .020" results in reading of .017, then movement to .050" results in a readout of .034". Returning back to the .000" mark does not always result in actual zero. While the error is often repeatable in one direction, the return back, results in different errors. This DRO is always in error.

Is this typical?
I have Igaging DRO on two lathes. Accuracy has been better than advertised. And reliability has been good.

However I had a problem similar to what you describe on one of the lathes after about 3 years of use. It turned out to be a loose connection in the reader head, which simply needed to be resoldered in place.

I also have I Gauging on my RF clone, been a year now and no issues other
than the batteries don't like the cold winter here, they get sluggish ................

Back