Ignorance is bliss...apparently!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Fox. Thanks for your comments. They caused me to go to the provided link and read every post in the thread. I now have a new and, I think, realistic understanding of some of the reasons for policies on the PM forum. I didn't find anything that would qualify as a put-down of any person from any country, with the possible exception of spammers (spit).

I think, if we were inundated with posts about industrial applications (how to speed up high-volume runs, etc.), we would be talking about how to get this forum back to those things that interest us - one-offs and other hobby-related issues. I read that they aren't so defensive against machines from any particular country as against machines that have no place in industrial applications. Those machines just happen to come from the disparaged countries.

The historic problem was that those starting out in machining as a hobby had no place to go for constructive help. That problem has since been answered by the careful development of this forum. All those involved, past and present, are to be congratulated for making this the best forum on the planet (that I know of) for machinists in our area of interest. While this forum was birthed out of a set of unpleasant circumstances, I have to say that I'm glad it happened. I love it here. :thumbzup::thumbzup::thumbzup:

To be quite honest, i have nothing against Gordon.
I do not eve know him.

But... the post has been changed.

This was removed from the post and he changed a lot of the wording to make it more acceptable...

Statements like this: "I'd rather compete with a foreigner on price and quality than send financial aid to stop them from starving."

I copied that from his original post and added it to mine.

Anyway it has been changed,

Still do not know why they would post something like that?

Andrew

Guys,

I have to step in here- my apologies to Gordon for not doing so sooner, but I have been very busy. We've picked on Gordon for something that happened on another site, and we just don't do that here. We don't pick on each other, and we don't bring things over "there" to here.

My apologies to you Gordon, we don't want anyone to feel singled out or picked on here at H-M, because that brings us down to the level of other forums. I'm not picking on anyone, but we have to think about what we are and what they are before we single anyone out, and then act accordingly. In the past, I have been the worst offender and violator of this rule, which ironically, *I* made, and I have been trying to do better.

Please, let's try to do better in future.
We don't want anyone to feel picked on at H-M - that isn't right. We're better than that.

If you want to discuss prejudices, that's fine.
Please don't single anyone out.

For example, my pet peeve is prejudices against foreign stuff.
Don't get me wrong, I go out of my way (and spend more!) to buy American stuff, because it helps OUR workers.
But, I also own Asian stuff, and I can tell you that I am pretty well-satisfied by what I bought.

You guys have heard me rant about my little Enco Drill Press from 35 years ago.
Both Chief and I have one- we paid about $100 for them around 1978 or 1979.
When I left my parents' house, I put it on my shoulder (I was younger and stronger then!) and brought it with me to the house my girl and I bought together. The thing was made in Taiwan, which is where cheap stuff was made back then, and, with the exception of a few minor things, nothing has broken, and it works like a dream for me. $125 for 35 years of good service- $3.50 per year. Can I complain? I think not.

:tiphat:Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back