Ih 484

Michaeljp86

Active User
Registered
Heres a youtube vid I made of my first tractor project. This tractor means a lot to me, its my first tractor and it belonged to a friend who died before I paid for it. He told his wife about me wanting it so I was able to buy it from her. Also when I painted it I had a accident and ended up with a lot of broken bones and tons of medical bills. I pretty much lost every penny I had but I already bought the paint so I worked on it with one arm and a broken back in 3 places. I never rebuilt a engine before and was told I couldn't do it, you have to have special equipment and training and it would never run again. Maybe thats why I have the biggest smile on my face every time I get on it.

[video=youtube_share;U39beIcpMG8]http://youtu.be/U39beIcpMG8[/video]
http://youtu.be/U39beIcpMG8

Nice job!!! And I am glad that you didnt paint the belts as well!!! I have a soft spot for binders. Ive never rebuilt an engine before either, but I want to. So I can at least say I did it, and learn something.

Thanks,
Chris

I really don't like it when people flat out say "you can't do it" ... obviously you CAN. maybe THEY can't ;)

nice job. always had a thing for tractors (yet never an actual use for them)

Very nice job. I would like some info on the painting. I have a tiller to paint and was wondering how much and what type of prep work you had to do. Sand everthing or just wash off grease and wipe down with thinner to a final clean before painting?

Turbo

Very nice job. I would like some info on the painting. I have a tiller to paint and was wondering how much and what type of prep work you had to do. Sand everthing or just wash off grease and wipe down with thinner to a final clean before painting?

Turbo

It depends, as long and the paint inst flaking I sand it with a random orbit sander. If it is I take it down to bare metal. Then depending on the condition of the metal Ill put primer on and sand it. if it has little pits Ill put several layers of primer and and sand it smooth. I just use regular oil base farm equipment paint. I cant afford the expensive 2 stage paints. The JD dealer sold lacquer paint, its kinda pricy but good stuff. The 484 I used rustoleum and it still looks great and spends a lot of time outside in the summer sun.

Are you teh same TurbinDoc from the diesel truck forums?

I may have been on a diesel truck forum a couple of years ago but not lately.

I am planning on using spray cans for my painting cause I like the smoothness of spray but have never used a spraygun. I was mainly wondering about the hard to reach and the areas with a lot of contours.

I have access to a media cabinet and will most likely use it to rough the painted areas or just take it down to bare.

You reccommend sanding the primer before painting. I have done a little painting but none that was to be all that great of quailty. Hoping to do a better job and learn the proper steps.

Thanks for your input.

I may have been on a diesel truck forum a couple of years ago but not lately.

I am planning on using spray cans for my painting cause I like the smoothness of spray but have never used a spraygun. I was mainly wondering about the hard to reach and the areas with a lot of contours.

I have access to a media cabinet and will most likely use it to rough the painted areas or just take it down to bare.

You reccommend sanding the primer before painting. I have done a little painting but none that was to be all that great of quailty. Hoping to do a better job and learn the proper steps.

Thanks for your input.

If you sand the primer use like a 800 grit so you dont sand through the primer. That would take a lot of paint cans, you could probably buy a cheaper sprayer and a couple cans of paint and be money ahead from use spray cans.

Care to give me a tutorial on how to use a spray gun. I think you need to thin the paint and adjust the gun spray pattern but how?

Care to give me a tutorial on how to use a spray gun. I think you need to thin the paint and adjust the gun spray pattern but how?

My dad painted up some tractors so I mixed the paint like he told me. I found out real quick that the new paint is a lit thinner then it used to be. He could pain a whole tractor on a qt.

It depends on the brand of paint too. Get some naptha from the hardware store and mix it 3:1 and try it. Just get a cardboard box and spray it. If Im painting really rusted metal and im just painting it to keep it from rusting I dont thin the pain at all. I just turn the air way up and let it kinda splatter out. You get a nice thick coat so no need for multiple layers. The paint isnt smooth but you would never know on the pitted metal.

Doing sheet metal I normally do 3 coats. I did about 8 coast on the IH because I had a junky gun that dripped.

Back