I'll be calling the shop in the morning....

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Well I've had my 1228 for a year, I made a frame for it to sit on with leveling casters, and it was covered. My car project is undergoing body work, and I decided to uncover, and get the lathe going. I spent the last couple of days, except Christmas, cleaning, oiling, running all of the manual controls, oiling some more, adjusting gibs till everything is moving smoothly, put the new quick change on too. Checked oil level, got familiar with the manual, and controls, read the power up procedure, plugged it in. Nothing happens the breaker in the back is switched, I do not see a door open switch for the belt, gear door, the emergency switch is in/out both, the start button does nothing no lights in the RPM window. At least I laughed, what else are you gonna do.....

Reactions: Z2V
Is there a switch on the chuck guard? If so, and the chuck guard is up, the lathe won't power up. Otherwise, I got nothing.

Reactions: Z2V
There is no chuck guard, but I'll look. No mounting holes or any receiver latch that I can see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Get a meter and check power at the outlet. And make sure it's plugged into *that* outlet. No, I'm not being a smarty pants, and yes, it's obvious...but still.

I tried 2 separate outlets that are powering other equipment, 4 gang plugs each, and switching stations with an operating piece. I do have the tester if it's not something simple that I'm messing up. I appreciate the suggestion.

I had the same problem when this summer when mine arrived, was stumped for a while. Does the digital RPM display light up?
Did you turn up the speed knob? wont try to spell it tonight.

The digital display has no life that I can see....
I did identify the door latch safety switch, and no matter how I push, or hold the door there is no power to the RPM window. Thank you all for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Is there a switch on the chuck guard? If so, and the chuck guard is up, the lathe won't power up. Otherwise, I got nothing.

That would've been my guess also , so I'm stumped here .

Okay, please don't take offense, but someone has to ask... is the 1-0-2 switch turned to 1? I looked at the manual online and found no wiring diagram. Might there be one on the machine, maybe stuck on the inside of one of the covers? That might help determine fuse(s) to check, etc. It does say the tach should light up when the power is on, so we know it's for sure not getting control power. But, caution, that doesn't mean the main connection isn't hot when it's plugged in, so proceed accordingly if you start poking around in the innards.

Tom

On my 1236 there are a couple of breakers in the electrical box- which unfortunately needs an allen wrench to remove- but worth checking...?

Back