I'll just be a minute dear...

SamI

Registered
Registered
Several hours later:

IMG_1998.jpg

What started out as a quick belt tension adjustment led to me noticing a seemingly endless list of unrelated problems! By the end of the night the only things left intact were the 3 jaw chuck and the bed remained bolted to the chip tray! Luckily by the time I came in the wife had gone to bed so I escaped unharmed - could have been nasty! So I guess the moral of the story is that a quick adjustment is rarely just a quick adjustment! Or maybe it should be to take better care of your machines? Either way I thought this could serve as a warning to those who have a significant other waiting patiently inside for them!

I take it that I'm not the only one who this routinely happens to?

What I want to know is ..how a minor adjustment that would seem to require one #2 Phillips screwdriver evolves into nearly every tool I own. How do 2x4's, a 3/4" socket set, several trips to the basement wood shop, a large collection of wrenches, a couple of micrometers, the lathe, and the mill suddenly get involved? Lol. Quoting Mr. Pete, any man with $10,000 worth of tools can make a $5 part, but things just seem to evolve in strange directions while following a perfectly logical path. It's only later, as you survey the carnage that you have to pick up, that the "logic" seems to unwind. So, no, you are not alone and we are not crazy. This is the support group for this affliction. We will encourage your lack of space by suggesting a larger shop, and if you have floor space left suggest you don't have enough tools. The understanding that this is the only path to true happiness will lead to a truly spectacular auction when you are gone (the ones that say, large collection of clean and well cared for tools), and be well attended by others with the same "issues".

The understanding that this is the only path to true happiness will lead to a truly spectacular auction when you are gone (the ones that say, large collection of clean and well cared for tools), and be well attended by others with the same "issues".
I believe I am gonna have to steal this, and have it put on my Tombstone!:big grin:

The only way to avoid this trap is contrary to who we are. The lump in the recliner in front of the TV, responding to requests for help with "Call the handyman, love." will not be tempted to solve the issue with a bag of tools. It is not who we are. Hence, we will be stricken with the "This'll just take a second, love" syndrome and twirl into the storm of 5 trips to the hardware store, etc.... And while we may moan and *****, to tinker, to fix, to discover, and to ponder is what we, members of this hallowed (a bad pun would be to use hollowed) site, are. Just make sure you have gassed the car lately, it gets really ugly to run out of fuel on one of the the store trips.

Its like being asked to do the washing up, drop a plate now and again and dont get asked again.
But, when she knows you can make anything she will never believe it when you say you cant do that.

Especially when we make it look so easy. As Scoty said, if you tell them how long it really takes, they won't think you are a miracle worker. I bring parts in to show my wife. While amazed, I think she is getting less amazed as time goes on. This would be the corollary to, if you bring flowers home for no reason, your wife will love you, if you do it every day for a month, then forget one day she will wonder why you don't love her anymore.

I've got a semi-comfy desk chair out in the shop. When I don't show up, Honey gives up, then provides shop delivery.
Comes out with a warm plate, and a book and occasionally provocative attire if I'm fortunate. I attack the plate, and she curls up in the chair with the book. (when the seasons are warmer of course.)
Other times she can't stand the mess and organizes the benchtops facilitating and allowing me to put the items away. She has that knack I lack.
And if the floor is bad she grabs the beater upright and goes at it. Amazingly the bloody vacuum hasn't crapped out sucking up the debris that it does.

@GL Hits it right on the head in post #3. As you look over your shoulder turning out the lights and look at the the carnage wondering why it took so many tools and implements to complete and trying to figure out why so many pliers and other slip-joints had to be pulled out of the drawer.

And the observation about 'The Auction', I've shown her where the gems are located, and she knows how to find the prices of other common items, and I joke that it is her 'Trip to Italy and Europe Fund'...
And now also in post #8 (as I'm composing this) "Especially when we make it look so easy." Do we though?

Back