I'm back with more wiring questions....

jcp

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've decided to rewire my Clausing 8530 mill for 220v. Had it running on 110v (thanks to several members here). I used the high voltage diagram on the motor and the pinout diagram on the fwd/rev switch to come up with this for the drum switch wiring. Wired it up with a 220 plug on the cord.....

IMG_0479.JPG

Here is a pics of the motor diagram.

IMG_0463.jpg

I get nothing at the motor...no hum, click or smoke. Breaker doesn't trip. Meter shows 110v on each leg of the 220v receptacle and on the terminals in the drum switch. Wired it back to 110v, changed the plug back for 110 and motor runs just as it did. What am I missing? Is P2 supposed to be connected somewhere? Any help greatly appreciated.

I assume your 220V is attached to L1 and L2? It looks from the nameplate that P2 is not used for the 220V connection. Are you sure your drum switch is doing what you think it is? With no wires connected to the switch you could use an ohm-meter to check it. There is a possibility that one of the two motor coils is open, either due to a break in the magnet wire or loose connection. When wired for low voltage the coils are in parallel and one coil can make the motor turn. When wired high voltage, the coils are in series so one being open could cause what you are seeing.

Think I figured it out. I hadn't checked the 220v receptacle for 220V across the two 110v lines...only checked for 110v to ground. I don't have 220v across the the plug. I 'll see whats up in the breaker box.

Well, this exercise demonstrates that when you're not sure about what you're doing..FIND OUT. Guy at Home Depot sold me a tandem circuit breaker instead of a double pole breaker. I didn't know the difference. I do now. Changed to the proper breaker and all is good.

Glad you got it figured out! Have fun with your mill.

Back