[4]

I'm Getting Ready For The Fourth Of July

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
IMG_0662.JPG IMG_0664.JPG IMG_0665.JPG IMG_0666.JPG Yesterday I decided to build a fuel tank for the old Fairbanks-Morse Z.
The tank is made from 1/8 inch mild steel and MIG welded together.
The photo shows the screened suction tube I fabricated along with the basic
set-up and piping. The carburetor is two sided and it is supposed to
start on gasoline and after warmed up a bit switched over to the other
side of the carburetor to run on kerosene. I may run it on gasoline or a mix
of gas and diesel as kerosene is expensive and hard to find. The engine has
a fuel pump that fills the bowl and the excess runs out an overflow back to the
fuel tank.

The second phase of this project is to add water cooling of some kind
using some piping and a big tank or possibly a small water pump and
a screen dribble down system.

It is a throttle governed engine so it supposed to hit every two revolutions
but it needs a bit of tweaking to get it to cooperate in that fashion. It starts
easily so with a little work it will be a fine engine. It was a stuck engine
when I got it and has new rings now with nice compression.

Here are some photos of my latest work on the engine.

Vintage: about 1920

Weight: about 1800 pounds

Last edited:

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Those things are fun! And I have one of those things. I guess mine is a vertical because the piston goes up and down and not sideways. If my memory is any good? I think it’s a Nova. Does not have the mag on it like yours. I just hooked up a T buzz box to the plug. Also, the water is contained in the top of the head, like a pot. Stop using it about 40 years ago when it started to rod knock. Haven’t got around to fixing it …Dave.

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
It's probably a Novo. I have a Fairbanks-Morse T model which is vertical. I have had it running but it needs
a lot of work. It was missing a LOT of parts so had to a lot of fabrication to make an engine out of it.

Heck, spend a little time on the Novo and run it on the 4th of July!

Nammar

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Dear Cathead, What a great engine. Those things are a little scarce in my neck of the woods. They are called hit and miss engines rightly, as you say, mainly because they used to run hot with only a 44 gallon drum holding the cooling water, so they made it fire every second stroke, thereby reducing the temperature of the cooling water and preventing the engine from overheating. If you make a forced flow cooling system, then they can be run with a power stroke every stroke, with a resultant power increase as well. The governor for speed adjustment sits inside the flat belt drive pulley. If you turn the handle that is on the outside of the drive belt pulley, you should be able to adjust the spring tension of the flyweights inside the pulley space, thereby adjusting the engine speed, which will be much slower than todays engines. Maybe only 100 to 200 RPM. They were really overbuilt by todays standard and should still be running when your grandchildren are your age. Enjoy the fun getting this engine running again. Geoffrey.

kvt

Active User
I would love to have something like that, But I have never seen one around san Antonio for sale, Or even where I grew up I the Texas Panhandle. I think working on something like that would be fun, and to make them work to do something would also be fun. that looks nice and if you can work on it between now and July forth you should be able to get it going good. I would think that if it was designed to run on kerosene, then it should run on thinned diesel with no problems. I'm hoping to make a small cannon between now and then to make some noise.

barnett

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Nice engine. Good to see fellow engine collectors !!! What hp is it?

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
This engine although looks like a hit-and-miss is throttle governed so fires on every other revolution and the speed is controlled by
the governor which is connected to a butterfly valve. The beauty I see in these engines is that they were so overbuilt that they
seem to run forever.

Last edited:

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
I would love to have something like that, But I have never seen one around san Antonio for sale, Or even where I grew up I the Texas Panhandle. I think working on something like that would be fun, and to make them work to do something would also be fun. that looks nice and if you can work on it between now and July forth you should be able to get it going good. I would think that if it was designed to run on kerosene, then it should run on thinned diesel with no problems. I'm hoping to make a small cannon between now and then to make some noise.
A cannon would be fun too!

kvt

Active User
Yea, Just to make a little noise, But have to watch it I live in town, (they annexed the area a few years back) so they may not like it to much.

ogberi

Active User
Registered
let's see. ... 15 hp at let's 250 rpm is what, 15x5252/250=315 ish.

Add in the inertia of the probably massive flywheels, and it'll hard-start any compressor against a full head of pressure off a generator head. ;) Just keep the fingers clear!

Patrick

Registered
Very nice Cathead, I got interested in hit and miss when I started going to the Steam and Gas Engine shows. I think it's a great hobby and very rewarding when friends look at you like "what were you thinking". Then when you give the flywheel a spin and things start going bang woof woof, bang woof woof and everybody starts smiling it's one of the best feelings ever. Keep up the great work and interest.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
I've been looking for one of those engines for a few years, trouble is the cost now makes them tuff unless you have money to spend on extras. Hope to find one in my price range even in need of repair . Neat engines run all day on very little gas or oil .

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Very nice Cathead, I got interested in hit and miss when I started going to the Steam and Gas Engine shows. I think it's a great hobby and very rewarding when friends look at you like "what were you thinking". Then when you give the flywheel a spin and things start going bang woof woof, bang woof woof and everybody starts smiling it's one of the best feelings ever. Keep up the great work and interest.
I worked on it today and now it goes: WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF

When warmed up, it is ready for the best 4th of July ever.
Then you can make it fail by choking the intake a bit and then the gas in the muffler
goes BANG!

WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF chug chug B A N G ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Last edited:

pn6

Registered
Really cool to see those things brought back to life!

markknx

Active User
OK I was wondering what it had to with the 4th. Now I see BANG.
Mark

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
serveimage.jpeg My next project for this engine would be to build up a screen cooler like the
one in the photo above. I found this photo on the internet so to have
a rough idea of what to build. The photo doesn't show it but this
system would need a circulating pump of some kind. It is somewhat of
a conundrum since I don't have the old-timey pump. I suppose I could
rig up some kind of centrifugal pump but it wouldn't fit the vintage. Also,
I could possibly rig up an old pitcher pump(hand well pump) to do the
job. Ideally, an old brass vane pump would be best. Maybe someone
has a better idea. The guy I bought the engine said he had one for me
but of course that didn't materialize.

Last edited:

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Just a little update on the FMZ 15...

Today I made a head gasket out of soft copper probably about .020 inch thickness. It was a trammeling job and some cutting with a snips, scissors, and a bit on the mill
to get it to fit properly. After installation, the engine holds water so will be ready for the next phase which will be to build a circulating system to keep the engine
cool on a long run. The cooling system will either be a thermosyphon or a pump with a screen cooled radiator. It ran today at an idle for an hour before the cylinder
water boiled over and we shut it off.

genec

Active User
Registered
have the engine run a jackpump on a well and let it cool the motor that is what a lot of them were designed for in the first place

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Happy 4th of July to all the Hobby Machinists!

I'm fixin to fire up the 15 HP Fairbanks Morse Z again for the 4th but it looks like the magneto needs
a little attention. It doesn't want to fire in it's present condition so... the problem must be the Sumpter
magneto as the engine has plenty of gas. It's on my today list so hope to hear some nice engine
Beethoven music with included staccato explosions in the muffler....... YEA!

[5] [7]