I'm Getting Ready For The Fourth Of July

let's see. ... 15 hp at let's 250 rpm is what, 15x5252/250=315 ish.

Add in the inertia of the probably massive flywheels, and it'll hard-start any compressor against a full head of pressure off a generator head. ;) Just keep the fingers clear!

Very nice Cathead, I got interested in hit and miss when I started going to the Steam and Gas Engine shows. I think it's a great hobby and very rewarding when friends look at you like "what were you thinking". Then when you give the flywheel a spin and things start going bang woof woof, bang woof woof and everybody starts smiling it's one of the best feelings ever. Keep up the great work and interest.

I've been looking for one of those engines for a few years, trouble is the cost now makes them tuff unless you have money to spend on extras. Hope to find one in my price range even in need of repair . Neat engines run all day on very little gas or oil .

Very nice Cathead, I got interested in hit and miss when I started going to the Steam and Gas Engine shows. I think it's a great hobby and very rewarding when friends look at you like "what were you thinking". Then when you give the flywheel a spin and things start going bang woof woof, bang woof woof and everybody starts smiling it's one of the best feelings ever. Keep up the great work and interest.

I worked on it today and now it goes: WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF

When warmed up, it is ready for the best 4th of July ever.
Then you can make it fail by choking the intake a bit and then the gas in the muffler
goes BANG!

WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF chug chug B A N G ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Last edited:
Really cool to see those things brought back to life!

serveimage.jpeg My next project for this engine would be to build up a screen cooler like the
one in the photo above. I found this photo on the internet so to have
a rough idea of what to build. The photo doesn't show it but this
system would need a circulating pump of some kind. It is somewhat of
a conundrum since I don't have the old-timey pump. I suppose I could
rig up some kind of centrifugal pump but it wouldn't fit the vintage. Also,
I could possibly rig up an old pitcher pump(hand well pump) to do the
job. Ideally, an old brass vane pump would be best. Maybe someone
has a better idea. The guy I bought the engine said he had one for me
but of course that didn't materialize.

Last edited:
Just a little update on the FMZ 15...

Today I made a head gasket out of soft copper probably about .020 inch thickness. It was a trammeling job and some cutting with a snips, scissors, and a bit on the mill
to get it to fit properly. After installation, the engine holds water so will be ready for the next phase which will be to build a circulating system to keep the engine
cool on a long run. The cooling system will either be a thermosyphon or a pump with a screen cooled radiator. It ran today at an idle for an hour before the cylinder
water boiled over and we shut it off.

Back