I'm hankering for a 1911-Bud's Guns =out of stock?

Ahh, I assumed that you meant ejector because I wouldn't think that they would have given you a crappy extractor.
I run one of these Millennium extractors in my open gun. What makes them special is that it is a very hard pivoting bar. Once it is tuned it is miles ahead of stock spring type extractors.
View attachment 379334
In my case the end that goes around the case was significantly oversized (apparently designed to be fit), so I had to spend a long time shaping it, and as my first 1911 build, I wasn't very knowledgeable as to how much to take off.

The rest of the kit was mild amounts of fitting, so a sudden massive-material removal was jarring.

I knew sales were robust but I wasn't expecting this.
Gunbroker and Bud's Gun Shop have always been my go to places to browse.
My search criteria at Bud's was __ in stock and __ California compliant =OUT OF STOCK.
Good problem if you're a gun manufacturer.
Well, you could always build your own based on a 80% frame. Cause this is the Hobby Machinist forum and we're hobby machinists! :)

IMG_0777.jpeg

I did find a Kimber Custom II on Gunbroker.com.
I bought it, exchanged FFL, the works, all set to ship.
Oops, the seller had none in stock but their Gunbroker account showed 5.
I received a full refund of course. I'd rather have that Kimber.
I'll think about it.
Maybe I'm destined to look into 80% ers.

I hadn't considered it.
I know all about the AR 80% but this is new to me.
The process is actually pretty easy. You have to cut a barrel-cutout, which requires a bull-nose endmill (18mm if I remember correctly?), drill a few holes (see the frame-guide I showed above), and cut the rails. They have 'tools' that you can buy to make them, but I just used the mill and a vise.

I started by drilling the holes, then using the frame-guide to hold it in the vise. I used a keyseat-type cutter for the rails, which you cut to a measured-size off the slide. Then a little relief cut with the bull-nose endmill, and you're all set!

At that point, you use some lapping fluid and a rubber mallet to lap the slide and frame together. Ends up being the tightest 1911 you'll own!

Checked out Freedom. "All Freedom Series are currently out of stock"

And I just checked Jem, and they no longer offer a 80% frame. Probably because they don't want to deal with the current political climate. I built the pistol above on a Jem 80% lower and a bare slide.

That one has barrels for both 40 S&W and 10mm auto. When you start getting into ramped barrels and machining slides the machining can get a bit more involved.

It's not like throwing together a AR parts kit, but it's not rocket science. :)

1911builders has a bunch of their models out of stock, but at least have SOME.

It's been several years since I last checked, but I remembered something about Ruger suing/talking about suing CA because they wouldn't put the SR1911 on the safe gun list. All the preexisting/older 1911 manufacturers were grandfathered in. It isn't illegal to own an SR1911 in CA, you just can't buy one new from a gun store. You can legally buy one from a private party and have an FFL put it into your name. CA gun laws are ridiculous.

My understanding is the companies have to go through a process ($$$) certifying that their gun is compliant even when it is a direct copy of a well established design like the 1911. Even a slight change in design requires them to go through the process again. Billed as a consumer protection law so they can't sell defective products.

Looking for positives California's way to complex gun laws pushed me into checking out black powder. I just want to plink without needing an encyclopedic knowledge of the latest gun laws and at least for now BP is under the radar.

Back