I'm in the market for a 4" or 5" machine vise to use on my g0704cnc

My vises are all flangless type.
Precision ground on the out side surfaces.
Can be mounted sidewise or vertically.
All three of them can be mounted on the table at the same time with a bit of room to spare for G54, G55, and G56 operations in one cycle.

I have a couple vises that are bridgeport size. I don't know to measure them but they are in good shape. Jaw width is 5-6 inches, and I would be welling to sell. They are heavy and shipping would be expensive. I'm in Michigan.

I also wonder if the 5" standard is to large for my g0704.

5" is too large for a BF20 style mill, in my opinion anyway. You won't be able to make full use of the capacity of the vise. You might have to mount the vise on the outermost table slot & might not have enough Y travel to make good use of the vise (different if you go flangeless). I have a RF45 style mill with a 9" table & use a 5" Glacern, it's bordeline too big for it.

But then again people have used 5" vises on BF20s & 6" vises on RF45s. I would look at the dimensions of the 5" vise (Glacern has nice spec sheets on their vises) & compare that to your table size.

The flangeless vise's are more versatile, try not to use a swivel base whenever you can for accuracy and rigidity.
With the flangeless vise, you have the ability to turn the vise on edge, giving you more flexibility of use.

Thank for the offer, I went and bought a Glacern vise.
I bought the 5" and went similar budget and got the Flanged Vise. I know I'm giving up the Flexibility of a flangeless. As I read up on vises I've noticed that many of us have more then one vise. My thought was down the road maybe I could get a flangeless when I had a project to justify it.
Thanks again Mont

Back