[4]

I'm making a Halo !!

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

jumps4

Global Moderator
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
really nice work
I can't believe this is the first time I have seen your project
well deserved win
Steve

rdean

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I don't know how I missed it either.
Very nice work!
Ray

Dataporter

Active User
Thank you all for your complements! Thanks to whoever chooses the POM! Didn't see this coming. I'm smiling from ear to ear! Best regards, Dave

ch2co

Grumpy Old Man
Totally awesome! Love the goat too. This kind of craftsmanship is very inspiring, like maybe I could do projects to this level.... well not
quite this level. :^)

Chuck the grumpy old guy.

K

Keltrader

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I'm in awe of the skills that fellow members of this forum possess and the inspiration they provide. I'm grateful that Dataporter and others are so prepared to share their skills, knowledge and goat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Navy Chief

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Simply amazing work on this, the skills to do this level of work are something that I aspire to have one day.

wagnmkr

Registered
That is a lovely result. I am just awaiting my plans for this engine.

Tom

Dataporter

Active User
That is a lovely result. I am just awaiting my plans for this engine.

Tom
Alright Tom! I'm here if you have questions... You can read how I made it and then do what works best for you! The pictures do not do it justice. People are blown away when they hold it and say, "You MADE that ?!?!" I just love all the exposed moving parts!

Dave

wagnmkr

Registered
Thanks Dave. I also got the plan for the Liney-5. I may do that one first, just to get so experience with a rotary. The Halo is impressive though and sounds way bigger than it is.

Cheers

Tom

The Liberal Arts Garage

Active User
Wrinkled brow, Boggled mind. If it wasn't so small, I could call it Colossal.
With great admiration, ........BLJHB

D

Deleted member 34477

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
That is so cool, nice attention to detail. Sounds great too!

O

ome

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Beautiful craftmanship! Thank You so much for sharing this wonderfully inspiring project.
Congrats!
Ome

texas-two-step

Registered
Juuuuust a tad too heavy and slow to be dropped into a flying model, but it would look stellar with this mounted in the front! Looks great!

markknx

Active User
Data,
Very nice job that is a work of art.

Larry Smith

Registered
Dress rehearsal on all five cylinders.

After much assembly, dis-assembly, tweaking, tinkering and reassembly etc, it is running nicely on all five cylinders now. It still needs to be broken in some more. The more I run it, the smoother it gets.
I need to pretty it up a little, etc., but it is pretty much done now! I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. This is really a very cleaver design!

Thanks for reading this and looking at the pictures. Best Regards, Dave
Nice craftsmanship!!! I would like to build one.

MetalMuncher

Registered
Awesome work Dave! I saw this in the header as POM and so took a look. Glad I did! Maybe someday I can try building an engine more complex than the oscillating one I built from LMS plans. :)

I noticed the hold down clamp you have on your vise with the slots on the side, back toward the beginning of this thread. I just ordered a Tormach vise which has these same kind of side slots. I've been using a smaller screwless vise with holes in the side, so I had made hold downs with pins for those holes. But for the slots, your hold down looks ideal. Did you make those clamps, or can they be ordered somewhere?

Dataporter

Active User
Hi MetalMuncher, sorry for the tardy reply. Looking back through the pictures I made all the clamps or hold downs shown holding the vises down. The ones for the side slot vise were made from a piece of large steel "C" channel cut to form the "L".
Dave

Downunder Bob

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Making the Halo Cylinder Heads

View attachment 90752

View attachment 90753

The Halo Heads are made from 3/4" (.750") brass bar. I cut them a 1/16 or so over the length with my HF 4x6 band saw.

View attachment 90754

This is the setup I used to cut them down to .850" length

View attachment 90755

Cutting them down to .650" tall

View attachment 90756

I think I counted 20 different set ups to do these parts. There are 19 holes drilled in each head. Seven of them are threaded 2-56, two of them are reamed .126", two of them are counter-bored and there is a .06" wide by .05" deep slot for the exhaust port. I'm not going to bore either one of us with all these setups. Most were like the one shown above, simply a small vice with a stop. I used an edge finder to precisely locate the first part. Then I located and did the first hole (or whatever). I removed that part and carefully and cleanly inserted the second part in the vise against the stop. Do it. Put in the third part, etc etc ad nauseam. Shown above is actually one of the last operations on the heads.

View attachment 90757
View attachment 90758
View attachment 90759
View attachment 90760
Yes looking at the pictures and reading the whole story, great project.
I realized that the six holes that were drilled for the valve covers times 5 heads plus 6 holes times 5 valve covers is a heck of a lot of holes! (not to mention I made at least one extra part for setups and screw ups!) So I made the little drill jig shown above to fit both the heads and the valve covers. With the jig I was able to drill all 60 plus holes zip zap using the mill as a drill press. I drilled heads first with a #50 drill and later I drilled the covers with a #43 drill.

I hope someone is enjoying reading this or at least looking at the pictures...

Best Regards,
Dave

View attachment 90752 View attachment 90753 View attachment 90754 View attachment 90755 View attachment 90756 View attachment 90757 View attachment 90758 View attachment 90759 View attachment 90760

Last edited:

Canuck75

Active User
If I had read this first I would not have had the courage to post my simple oscillating radial engine. "Fantastic" is all that comes to mind!

Dataporter

Active User
If I had read this first I would not have had the courage to post my simple oscillating radial engine. "Fantastic" is all that comes to mind!
I certainly do not want to discourage anyone from posting their work! An oscillating radial engine sounds great, I love things with lots of moving parts. Thank you for the complement and keep making chips! Dave

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
Super Kool motor , great thinking during the machining , tiny stuff like that scares me . All the stuff I made when working you couldn't get it in a garage let alone one hand. I'm in awe it's just so nice. I think I see a nomination for this build.

[5] [7]