I'm making a Halo !!

Awesome work Dave! I saw this in the header as POM and so took a look. Glad I did! Maybe someday I can try building an engine more complex than the oscillating one I built from LMS plans. :)

I noticed the hold down clamp you have on your vise with the slots on the side, back toward the beginning of this thread. I just ordered a Tormach vise which has these same kind of side slots. I've been using a smaller screwless vise with holes in the side, so I had made hold downs with pins for those holes. But for the slots, your hold down looks ideal. Did you make those clamps, or can they be ordered somewhere?

Hi MetalMuncher, sorry for the tardy reply. Looking back through the pictures I made all the clamps or hold downs shown holding the vises down. The ones for the side slot vise were made from a piece of large steel "C" channel cut to form the "L".
Dave

Making the Halo Cylinder Heads

View attachment 90752

View attachment 90753

The Halo Heads are made from 3/4" (.750") brass bar. I cut them a 1/16 or so over the length with my HF 4x6 band saw.

View attachment 90754

This is the setup I used to cut them down to .850" length

View attachment 90755

Cutting them down to .650" tall

View attachment 90756

I think I counted 20 different set ups to do these parts. There are 19 holes drilled in each head. Seven of them are threaded 2-56, two of them are reamed .126", two of them are counter-bored and there is a .06" wide by .05" deep slot for the exhaust port. I'm not going to bore either one of us with all these setups. Most were like the one shown above, simply a small vice with a stop. I used an edge finder to precisely locate the first part. Then I located and did the first hole (or whatever). I removed that part and carefully and cleanly inserted the second part in the vise against the stop. Do it. Put in the third part, etc etc ad nauseam. Shown above is actually one of the last operations on the heads.

View attachment 90757
View attachment 90758
View attachment 90759
View attachment 90760
Yes looking at the pictures and reading the whole story, great project.
I realized that the six holes that were drilled for the valve covers times 5 heads plus 6 holes times 5 valve covers is a heck of a lot of holes! (not to mention I made at least one extra part for setups and screw ups!) So I made the little drill jig shown above to fit both the heads and the valve covers. With the jig I was able to drill all 60 plus holes zip zap using the mill as a drill press. I drilled heads first with a #50 drill and later I drilled the covers with a #43 drill.

I hope someone is enjoying reading this or at least looking at the pictures...

Best Regards,
Dave

View attachment 90752 View attachment 90753 View attachment 90754 View attachment 90755 View attachment 90756 View attachment 90757 View attachment 90758 View attachment 90759 View attachment 90760

Last edited:
If I had read this first I would not have had the courage to post my simple oscillating radial engine. "Fantastic" is all that comes to mind!

If I had read this first I would not have had the courage to post my simple oscillating radial engine. "Fantastic" is all that comes to mind!

I certainly do not want to discourage anyone from posting their work! An oscillating radial engine sounds great, I love things with lots of moving parts. Thank you for the complement and keep making chips! Dave

Super Kool motor , great thinking during the machining , tiny stuff like that scares me . All the stuff I made when working you couldn't get it in a garage let alone one hand. I'm in awe it's just so nice. I think I see a nomination for this build.

Back