I'm new and need advice. Look at my prints and suggest some machines please!

As BGHanson suggested, I would go with old iron. A largish lathe in good condition is not hard to find. Perhaps a good lathe with a milling attatchment now, and a mill next year?

May I please hear more about this milling attachment possibility? The above solution might make perfect sense for me right now. Perhaps I can afford a decent Precision Matthews lathe, but I can't ALSO spend 2 grand on a mill at the same time. If I wait a little longer I can get a decent mill later, and in the mean time I can do the simple milling operations for the main end caps on the lathe and just send all my brackets to water jet.

There you go.
They are best for simple milling operations and are quick to set up, but like everything else with this machining stuff, you are only limited by your imagination.

Got an offer from a friend who has a shop to trade work for work. He machines the parts, I make him drawings and whatever else he may need for a few days. I'll consider that a head start in terms of this particular project, but I'm still getting that machine!

Got an offer from a friend who has a shop to trade work for work. He machines the parts, I make him drawings and whatever else he may need for a few days. I'll consider that a head start in terms of this particular project, but I'm still getting that machine!

Very handy, that gives you time to hunt down your first pieces of machinery.

:)

Stu

In the mean time hears methods for locating holes :)

Some vicarious machining and learning things at the same time :) He demos different methods.

Someone posted a used Brigdeport in the general machine forum. From California as well. Just noticed thought i d be quick. Looking how to go about selling. Maybe it can work for you.

Avoid new, bare machines with no tooling. Look for quality used machines, in excellent condition, with comprehensive tooling.

Back