I'm offering cnc stepper motor wiring and mach3 setup help

windows 10 does not make a 32 bit version, does it ?
mach3 will not run on a 64bit system as far as I know.
I have had good luck with windows 7 32 bit and mach3.
you should not run: firewalls, antivirus, internet or anything that can block the communication to the board.
I know nothing about smooth stepper, people were having setup and support problems from the company so I avoided them.
I only have one mach3 machine left due to so many problems and the fact mach3 wont run on 64 bit. the old computers are getting hard to find.
mach3 version ending in 57 is the one i use 66 is junk. mach3 stinks on a lathe too fussy.
I'm installing Centroid Acorn boards now and they come with their own software and a tech support forum. wiring diagrams for about anything.
This is my latest acorn project:
I have had very good luck with them and its easier to setup and install.
this is not an add I'm just stating the changes I have made.
Steve
Thanks Steve, I actually have no issue running Mach3 in windows10 and I also am using the Smart screen, screen set for Mach. I didn't have any issue hooking up the Smooth stepper or so it seems as I pinged it and got a signal that it was connected. I am just having an issue with the C11g breakout board and it would seem it may have been do to me not realizing I was getting a double feed of 5vDC, not sure as of yet. I am pretty sure the new C11g BOB is fried and I ordered another one. Do you have any experience with this board or with wiring it? Or can you be of any assistance?
Thanks Mark

That board is made by cnc4pc and they are great to work with.
The owners name is Arturo If I remember and they warranty their products.
the site is full of info and has a forum for their products.
wiring diagrams, manuals ect
Steve

OK, I'm resurrecting this old thread instead of starting a new one, hopefully Steve @jumps4 is still available to answer a question...hell, if anyone can advise....
So my ELS setup worked fine, but mounting tho the lathe, I needed to extend the stepper wires (3 16g wires and the rs=232 (?) serial cable.) The stepper came with an rs-232 patch cable...good. When I extended the 3 wires on the stepper, it causes a protection (red LED on driver) to flash and it would stop turning. If I turned the voltage up on power supply, the power supply would alarm. Weird. Took the 3 wire extension off and far as I can tell, it was fine again. I'll run more tests this weekend. I need to extend those wires, but WTH is going on here?

If it is the hybrid stepper that is recommended the three wires have to be hooked up in the right order from the diagram. I assumed it didn’t matter when extending mine and it did a similar thing. Once I got the correct wiring pin out again it all worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some RS232 cables are pinned straight through, and some have crossovers built into them. I'd make sure your extension has a straight through pinning. Double check with a multimeter.

The the RS-233 extension worked prior, it was the extension that cause issues. I really need a good 8” of extension...I’m sure others have done this. I went up 1 gauge then I went down one gauge...I guess I’ll have to get some exact match gauge & see what that does. Really a bit sensitive, but I’m SURE others have had to do this, just by building an enclosure of electrical you pretty much have to place it a bit from the lathe.

The the RS-233 extension worked prior, it was the extension that cause issues. I really need a good 8” of extension...I’m sure others have done this. I went up 1 gauge then I went down one gauge...I guess I’ll have to get some exact match gauge & see what that does. Really a bit sensitive, but I’m SURE others have had to do this, just by building an enclosure of electrical you pretty much have to place it a bit from the lathe.

Weird... Can you link the motor/drive you are using. I'm curious now.

Weird... Can you link the motor/drive you are using. I'm curious now.
Yeah, I can connect it w/o extension with no issues. I plan on checking it out closer to make sure, but nothing changed except the adding of the rs232 extension and the extra foot of wire on the stepper.

Back