[4]

I'm Praying For A Miracle

• Thread starter Deleted member 31249
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Many of you know about a year ago I was in a bad way after having a stroke while in my shop. I have been doing fine and feeling the best I have in years..... then my cardiologist called, out of the blue, a few days ago and said I had to come to her office right away. I went in to see what was up and she said I had to start anti-coagulation therapy as soon as possible. My response was WHOAAA...what is going on? she said my pacemaker is recording uneven rhythms and A-Fib episodes of my heart. These alone greatly raise my risk of stroke, but since I have been having "mini" strokes occasionally, I am in severe risk of a major stroke at any time, which with the condition of the curated arteries and some other heart related problems would most likely be fatal and if not probably severely debilitating. They had decided last year not to operate on my curated arteries. The main treatment for these problems to reduce the risk of stroke is the anti-coagulation therapy which is mainly blood thinners and a couple other fancy pills that do God knows what and they have to be taken on a rigid schedule. ( I am very poor at taking drugs.) The blood has to be kept at a certain "viscosity", which has to be closely monitored and adjusted constantly to my diet and other factors ( the way they explained it is, basically, the thinner blood will be easier on the heart and arteries and things will work better). Many people take this therapy and live a long natural life without problems. BUT.... I am NOT supposed to have ANY blood thinners as I have an ascending aortic aneurysm and the risk of it leaking and rupturing would be really high and it is pretty much unrepairable ( they will only touch it if it means trying to save my life). This is a damned if I do...damned if I don't kind of thing. The treatment for either problem is severely dangerous to me. They said it will be ultimately up to me which way I want to go but they will make a recommendation following all the tests.
I go Wednesday for an ultrasound of my heart, my aneurysm, and my curated arteries and my cardiologist will render her opinion. Then I have to go a hundred miles to Pittsburgh to talk to a vascular heart surgeon to discuss the same tests and my "risk" of taking the treatment with regard to the aneurysm.
THEN I HAVE TO DECIDE. :(
That's it in a nutshell. There are more involved problems like deteriorated nerves, severe stenosis of the spine and some major arteries and I have a surgery on July 11th to repair my morphine pump and another surgery after that to install a spinal cord stimulator. ( I can't start anything until after the first surgery). It seems all this also plays into this crap.

If I have a say...... I intend to live another twenty or so years...... but then that is not my decision... it's God's. I got a lot of projects to build yet. :grin:

Steve Shannon

Rocketgeek
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
You definitely have my prayers. I'm constantly impressed with your projects and I want to be amazed for 20 more years!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
i'm very sorry to hear the news.
may you be given the strength to go on to finish the projects that inspire all of us.

MozamPete

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
With all your difficulties it has always impressed me the speed with which you projects progress and the quality of the work you produce with relatively small machines. I wish you all the best which your upcoming procedures and hope to be following your project for a long time to come.

kvt

Active User
You are in our prayers. I hope that you continue to do the things you like and continue to produce the projects that we all like to watch and wish we could readily do ourselves.

wawoodman

himself, himself
Mark,
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

LucknowKen

Registered
Registered
I have been doing fine and feeling the best I have in years..
That's great news.

but then that is not my decision... it's God's.
It will be the right decision.
I have spent hours reviewing projects you posted here years ago.
My hat is off, some prayers have been sent.
lk

jpfabricator

Active User
Prayers in route.

Sent from somwhere in east Texas by Jake!

core-oil

Active User
Registered
Prayers sent over We need good guys like you Mark

Uglydog

Active User
I'm just a Paramedic who wears an oil stained t-shirt when the wife allows me to play in the shop. I am not a doctor. But, if I may, allow me to chime in with perspective. This is not medical advise. Always follow your Docs directions!

Everyday I see patients with similar conditions. Many live for decades after diagnosis. They usually need to monitor their diet, and exercise as prescribed, as well as be medication compliant.
If you are a machinist you can understand anything the Docs and Cardiologists are saying. Yes, you will need to understand what they are saying. Tell them this is not a medical terminology class, they must use simple language.

For example the heart is merely a two stage pump (ventricles). However, each stage has priming unit (atria). Between the two pumps there is an old fashioned carburetor air gets in and mixes with the blood in the lungs. However, this carburetor is really special because it also acts as an exhaust when you breathe out.

So, you've got atrial fibrillation. The primer on the pump stage located after your lungs isn't working very well and occasionally retains the blood instead of passing it through like it should. It gels up when it isn't moving and forms clots. That's bad because if one of those clots gets let lose it could go anywhere and cause a clogged line. Clogged lines don't allow for fuel and air or lubrication. Some parts of the system are more fragile than others and need alot of lubrication (blood). We tend to notice some parts right away if there is a clogged line (brain).

So, yep, they can add additives to the blood to make it super slippery. So it doesn't gel up ever. Some diet effects the medications ability to stop gelling. Unfortunately, if there are bad seals or a thin wall on one of the lines, then they leak. Sometimes alot. That'd also be bad.

I'm guessing that by "curated arteries" you mean carotid arteries. Those are the big pipes that feed the brain. Sometimes they get clogged up as well. In fact, they can get so clogged up that they also cause flow to slow down and gel up. A really bad location as it dumps into the brain.

Ok, what else...
Let's remember that there are lots of other systems. You haven't mentioned kidney, endocrine (thyroid and diabetes), prostrate, lung, stomach and intestines. So I'm guessing those parts are running pretty well.

When you meet with the Docs for the decision, it might be helpful to put everything in the context of a car. A really cool car that you really want alot more miles miles out of. It's all a gamble and you can't make all the repairs required. After all it will never be a new car again. Which repairs will get you the longest most enjoyable ride? Are you interested in repairs which give lots of years but you end up restricted to a chair? Also, know that the Docs can't make any guarantees on outcome. Far too many unknowns.

And last written. But, really should be both first and last, with multiples during the process. Ask God that his will be done. But, it's ok to request more time do to his work as best you are able!

I hope this is helpful and not oversimplified or insulting.
God bless!
Amen.

Daryl
MN

Last edited:

Superburban

Prayers for you and your family, with extra prayers for decision making.

newbydave

Many of you know about a year ago I was in a bad way after having a stroke while in my shop. I have been doing fine and feeling the best I have in years..... then my cardiologist called, out of the blue, a few days ago and said I had to come to her office right away. I went in to see what was up and she said I had to start anti-coagulation therapy as soon as possible. My response was WHOAAA...what is going on? she said my pacemaker is recording uneven rhythms and A-Fib episodes of my heart. These alone greatly raise my risk of stroke, but since I have been having "mini" strokes occasionally, I am in severe risk of a major stroke at any time, which with the condition of the curated arteries and some other heart related problems would most likely be fatal and if not probably severely debilitating. They had decided last year not to operate on my curated arteries. The main treatment for these problems to reduce the risk of stroke is the anti-coagulation therapy which is mainly blood thinners and a couple other fancy pills that do God knows what and they have to be taken on a rigid schedule. ( I am very poor at taking drugs.) The blood has to be kept at a certain "viscosity", which has to be closely monitored and adjusted constantly to my diet and other factors ( the way they explained it is, basically, the thinner blood will be easier on the heart and arteries and things will work better). Many people take this therapy and live a long natural life without problems. BUT.... I am NOT supposed to have ANY blood thinners as I have an ascending aortic aneurysm and the risk of it leaking and rupturing would be really high and it is pretty much unrepairable ( they will only touch it if it means trying to save my life). This is a damned if I do...damned if I don't kind of thing. The treatment for either problem is severely dangerous to me. They said it will be ultimately up to me which way I want to go but they will make a recommendation following all the tests.
I go Wednesday for an ultrasound of my heart, my aneurysm, and my curated arteries and my cardiologist will render her opinion. Then I have to go a hundred miles to Pittsburgh to talk to a vascular heart surgeon to discuss the same tests and my "risk" of taking the treatment with regard to the aneurysm.
THEN I HAVE TO DECIDE. :(
That's it in a nutshell. There are more involved problems like deteriorated nerves, severe stenosis of the spine and some major arteries and I have a surgery on July 11th to repair my morphine pump and another surgery after that to install a spinal cord stimulator. ( I can't start anything until after the first surgery). It seems all this also plays into this crap.

If I have a say...... I intend to live another twenty or so years...... but then that is not my decision... it's God's. I got a lot of projects to build yet. :grin:
Prayers have been sent.

Sandia

Active User
You are in my prayers Mark.

jeff_g1137

Active User
Hi
I will be thinking of you, & wish you all the best.
You will get all the time you need, God bless.
Jeff

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
Prayers sent Mark.

CraigB1960

New Member Liaison
Mark, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I have added you to my daily prayer list. May God continue to bless you and us through you.

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I'm just a Paramedic who wears an oil stained t-shirt when the wife allows me to play in the shop. I am not a doctor. But, if I may, allow me to chime in with perspective. This is not medical advise. Always follow your Docs directions!

Everyday I see patients with similar conditions. Many live for decades after diagnosis. They usually need to monitor their diet, and exercise as prescribed, as well as be medication compliant.
If you are a machinist you can understand anything the Docs and Cardiologists are saying. Yes, you will need to understand what they are saying. Tell them this is not a medical terminology class, they must use simple language.

For example the heart is merely a two stage pump (ventricles). However, each stage has priming unit (atria). Between the two pumps there is an old fashioned carburetor air gets in and mixes with the blood in the lungs. However, this carburetor is really special because it also acts as an exhaust when you breathe out.

So, you've got atrial fibrillation. The primer on the pump stage located after your lungs isn't working very well and occasionally retains the blood instead of passing it through like it should. It gels up when it isn't moving and forms clots. That's bad because if one of those clots gets let lose it could go anywhere and cause a clogged line. Clogged lines don't allow for fuel and air or lubrication. Some parts of the system are more fragile than others and need alot of lubrication (blood). We tend to notice some parts right away if there is a clogged line (brain).

So, yep, they can add additives to the blood to make it super slippery. So it doesn't gel up ever. Some diet effects the medications ability to stop gelling. Unfortunately, if there are bad seals or a thin wall on one of the lines, then they leak. Sometimes alot. That'd also be bad.

I'm guessing that by "curated arteries" you mean carotid arteries. Those are the big pipes that feed the brain. Sometimes they get clogged up as well. In fact, they can get so clogged up that they also cause flow to slow down and gel up. A really bad location as it dumps into the brain.

Ok, what else...
Let's remember that there are lots of other systems. You haven't mentioned kidney, endocrine (thyroid and diabetes), prostrate, lung, stomach and intestines. So I'm guessing those parts are running pretty well.

When you meet with the Docs for the decision, it might be helpful to put everything in the context of a car. A really cool car that you really want alot more miles miles out of. It's all a gamble and you can't make all the repairs required. After all it will never be a new car again. Which repairs will get you the longest most enjoyable ride? Are you interested in repairs which give lots of years but you end up restricted to a chair? Also, know that the Docs can't make any guarantees on outcome. Far too many unknowns.

And last written. But, really should be both first and last, with multiples during the process. Ask God that his will be done. But, it's ok to request more time do to his work as best you are able!

I hope this is helpful and not oversimplified or insulting.
God bless!
Amen.

Daryl
MN
Yes, I understand the comparison. And you are correct, but the part that makes it worse is the percentages of various outcomes. They can't guarantee how accurate what they say is, but they do have a pretty good idea and usually they don't have to contend with both extremes. These are only the bad problems that potentially end your life. I also contend with a neurogenic bladder and use a catheter six times a day, a neurogenic colon that don't work without help from more equipment, all caused by deteriorated nerves. I have severe neuropathy in the legs and feet that makes balance and walking bad. All these problems cannot be fixed . One of the two upcoming surgeries is a spinal cord stimulator to help with the neuropathy.
BUT I'M STILL CUTTING CHIPS AND PLAN TO CONTINUE.

David VanNorman

God makes the ultimate decision but the attitude helps him decide. God bless you Mark.

FOMOGO

Active User
All the best to you Mark, prayers sent. I've been trying not to whine about my back issue, you've just made it a lot easier. Keep your chin up, We're all pulling for you. Cheers, Mike

rhynardt

Registered
Hi Mark

Our thoughts and prayers are wit you

Regards

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Mark,

I have a painting my dad gave me a long time ago. It was of a small river meandering into the forest basically.
Many years later I realized it was not simply a painting of a brook but more a visual approach to life.
One can't see where it goes as it disappears into the forest. It's a painted version of where life leads
a person as I see it now. I look at it often and wonder what is around the next bend so to speak.
It's the same for all of us because we can't see what the future holds. I wish you well and hope
that things aren't as bad as one might think. We are all pulling for you and fully expect to see more
of your excellent shop work in days to come. The MORE CHIPS tells me you have the will and where
there is the will, there is a way.

All the best to you my friend,

Burt

mcostello

Active User
Registered
Prayers gladly offered up!

hoth2o

Prayers Sent

wrmiller

Chief Tinkerer
Hey Mark,

I'm not one to talk much to the Big Guy upstairs, but I'll see what I can do. :)

ogberi

Active User
Registered
Prayers sent, my friend. One thing i can recommend to help with proper dosing times of meds - set repeating reminders on your phone's calendar, and a specific notification sound for them. Hang in there, 'cause we're all pulling and praying for you.

Shad H.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
In my prayers also. I'm on blood thinners too ,since 2009 . I had massive pulmonary embolism on both lungs. And me being already DISABLED waited till the next day to call 911. Now I don't have the extras you have but the blood thinners aren't the worse things in life. Live everyday to the best that you can, thank god for every extra one we have. I wasn't coming out of the emergency room according to the doctors. Show them how wrong they can be , keep your mind on all the projects still to do. Good addatude ALWAYS helps . Keep HAPPY it helps. GOD BLESS YOU AND MAY THE DOCTORS BE THE ONES HE SENDS.

D

Deleted member 31249

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Thank you. The blood thinners are normally not a big deal, but they say they are for me because they say I almost certainly can't take them with the aneurysm , but that on the other hand I have to take them to avoid an almost certain stoke as I have had two and lately several "mini " strokes. Kind seems to me I am damned if I do and damned if I don't. There is some discussion about possibly maybe a surgical possibility for the stroke risk depending on the outcome of the tests this week. The whole bummer about this is I FEEL FINE RIGHT NOW. The last thing said so far was " you may have to make the choice." I have tests Wednesday and Thursday this week.

Silverbullet

Gold
Registered
I'm gonna say my prayers and ask God for a special healing for you. Miracles still happen.

jeff_g1137

Active User
Hi
Some times the waiting for the tests & the results, is the worst thing & the outcome is OK.
I had a heart scare & the wife a cancer scare this year & it all came out OK, but the waiting was murder.
So now i try not to worry, till all the tests are in. think good things & eat a good diet to get the nourishment the body needs.

jeff

Ps
And stop going out partying all night long, till the tests are in. lol

[6]
[5] [7]