I'm Praying For A Miracle

Many of you know about a year ago I was in a bad way after having a stroke while in my shop. I have been doing fine and feeling the best I have in years..... then my cardiologist called, out of the blue, a few days ago and said I had to come to her office right away. I went in to see what was up and she said I had to start anti-coagulation therapy as soon as possible. My response was WHOAAA...what is going on? she said my pacemaker is recording uneven rhythms and A-Fib episodes of my heart. These alone greatly raise my risk of stroke, but since I have been having "mini" strokes occasionally, I am in severe risk of a major stroke at any time, which with the condition of the curated arteries and some other heart related problems would most likely be fatal and if not probably severely debilitating. They had decided last year not to operate on my curated arteries. The main treatment for these problems to reduce the risk of stroke is the anti-coagulation therapy which is mainly blood thinners and a couple other fancy pills that do God knows what and they have to be taken on a rigid schedule. ( I am very poor at taking drugs.) The blood has to be kept at a certain "viscosity", which has to be closely monitored and adjusted constantly to my diet and other factors ( the way they explained it is, basically, the thinner blood will be easier on the heart and arteries and things will work better). Many people take this therapy and live a long natural life without problems. BUT.... I am NOT supposed to have ANY blood thinners as I have an ascending aortic aneurysm and the risk of it leaking and rupturing would be really high and it is pretty much unrepairable ( they will only touch it if it means trying to save my life). This is a damned if I do...damned if I don't kind of thing. The treatment for either problem is severely dangerous to me. They said it will be ultimately up to me which way I want to go but they will make a recommendation following all the tests.
I go Wednesday for an ultrasound of my heart, my aneurysm, and my curated arteries and my cardiologist will render her opinion. Then I have to go a hundred miles to Pittsburgh to talk to a vascular heart surgeon to discuss the same tests and my "risk" of taking the treatment with regard to the aneurysm.
THEN I HAVE TO DECIDE. :(
That's it in a nutshell. There are more involved problems like deteriorated nerves, severe stenosis of the spine and some major arteries and I have a surgery on July 11th to repair my morphine pump and another surgery after that to install a spinal cord stimulator. ( I can't start anything until after the first surgery). It seems all this also plays into this crap.

If I have a say...... I intend to live another twenty or so years...... but then that is not my decision... it's God's. I got a lot of projects to build yet. :grin:

Prayers have been sent.

Mark, my thoughts and prayers are with you. I have added you to my daily prayer list. May God continue to bless you and us through you.

I'm just a Paramedic who wears an oil stained t-shirt when the wife allows me to play in the shop. I am not a doctor. But, if I may, allow me to chime in with perspective. This is not medical advise. Always follow your Docs directions!

Everyday I see patients with similar conditions. Many live for decades after diagnosis. They usually need to monitor their diet, and exercise as prescribed, as well as be medication compliant.
If you are a machinist you can understand anything the Docs and Cardiologists are saying. Yes, you will need to understand what they are saying. Tell them this is not a medical terminology class, they must use simple language.

For example the heart is merely a two stage pump (ventricles). However, each stage has priming unit (atria). Between the two pumps there is an old fashioned carburetor air gets in and mixes with the blood in the lungs. However, this carburetor is really special because it also acts as an exhaust when you breathe out.

So, you've got atrial fibrillation. The primer on the pump stage located after your lungs isn't working very well and occasionally retains the blood instead of passing it through like it should. It gels up when it isn't moving and forms clots. That's bad because if one of those clots gets let lose it could go anywhere and cause a clogged line. Clogged lines don't allow for fuel and air or lubrication. Some parts of the system are more fragile than others and need alot of lubrication (blood). We tend to notice some parts right away if there is a clogged line (brain).

So, yep, they can add additives to the blood to make it super slippery. So it doesn't gel up ever. Some diet effects the medications ability to stop gelling. Unfortunately, if there are bad seals or a thin wall on one of the lines, then they leak. Sometimes alot. That'd also be bad.

I'm guessing that by "curated arteries" you mean carotid arteries. Those are the big pipes that feed the brain. Sometimes they get clogged up as well. In fact, they can get so clogged up that they also cause flow to slow down and gel up. A really bad location as it dumps into the brain.

Ok, what else...
Let's remember that there are lots of other systems. You haven't mentioned kidney, endocrine (thyroid and diabetes), prostrate, lung, stomach and intestines. So I'm guessing those parts are running pretty well.

When you meet with the Docs for the decision, it might be helpful to put everything in the context of a car. A really cool car that you really want alot more miles miles out of. It's all a gamble and you can't make all the repairs required. After all it will never be a new car again. Which repairs will get you the longest most enjoyable ride? Are you interested in repairs which give lots of years but you end up restricted to a chair? Also, know that the Docs can't make any guarantees on outcome. Far too many unknowns.

And last written. But, really should be both first and last, with multiples during the process. Ask God that his will be done. But, it's ok to request more time do to his work as best you are able!

I hope this is helpful and not oversimplified or insulting.
God bless!
Amen.

Daryl
MN

Yes, I understand the comparison. And you are correct, but the part that makes it worse is the percentages of various outcomes. They can't guarantee how accurate what they say is, but they do have a pretty good idea and usually they don't have to contend with both extremes. These are only the bad problems that potentially end your life. I also contend with a neurogenic bladder and use a catheter six times a day, a neurogenic colon that don't work without help from more equipment, all caused by deteriorated nerves. I have severe neuropathy in the legs and feet that makes balance and walking bad. All these problems cannot be fixed . One of the two upcoming surgeries is a spinal cord stimulator to help with the neuropathy.
BUT I'M STILL CUTTING CHIPS AND PLAN TO CONTINUE.

All the best to you Mark, prayers sent. I've been trying not to whine about my back issue, you've just made it a lot easier. Keep your chin up, We're all pulling for you. Cheers, Mike

Back