I'm switching from Dykem to a Magic Marker

A solution tho the tippable Dykem bottle would be to machine a well into a block of metal and set the Dykem inside. Add a little handle for ease of transportation, kind of like Aladdin's lamp.
I was wondering if rare earth magnets in the bottom of the container would work too... but wouldn't help what I did. Didn't fully catch the top of the gearbox and just set it on the edge.
Isopropyl alcohol works well for me. - I mean to clean off Dykem -
I tried that, it laughed at me. Probably works great for getting it off of metal.

Hopefully I get time this weekend to see what happens with acetone.

I was wondering if rare earth magnets in the bottom of the container would work too... but wouldn't help what I did. Didn't fully catch the top of the gearbox and just set it on the edge.

I tried that, it laughed at me. Probably works great for getting it off of metal.

Hopefully I get time this weekend to see what happens with acetone.
I have a shallow steel tray with five rare earth magnets on the underside on top of my lathe headstock. It works great for keeping my lubricants honest. No more containers walking off the headstock. And it is easily removable if needed.

Some bicarbonate of soda, or lye, or ammonia, would be worth
trying.

Shellac is another listed ingredient; isopropanol, and maybe some glycerine mixed in, would be
a suitable not-too-fast-drying solvent for that.
Saw this old post, and thought I would add that ammonia is also good for cleaning up shellac. Ammonia should bleach out the pigment and dissolve the resin in one step. I've never tried this, and I'm going to file this information away. Ammonia might get the job done without the risk of a flash fire, or the struggle of opening the solvent can.

Seems like the Dykem people haven't progressed their product design for forever, unless there is some great solution I don't know about. The stuff is messy, runny, stains stuff you don't want stained, like fingers, clumsy to use, weird brush inside, etc. I am pretty much on my last bottle of blue, but sadly that may last longer than I do.

Seems like the Dykem people haven't progressed their product design for forever, unless there is some great solution I don't know about. The stuff is messy, runny, stains stuff you don't want stained, like fingers, clumsy to use, weird brush inside, etc. I am pretty much on my last bottle of blue, but sadly that may last longer than I do.
Why change something that works ?

Love the smell of dykem..
I use both dykem and markers. Dykem lasts longer than markers. Oil seems to remove markers to easily. its good for a quick measure, mark cut..
But for layout, I use Dykem... it comes off easily enough with acetone.

Dykem comes in spray, and pen as well.. I use a bottle. I wish they would fix the bottles. The seal SUCKS..

Milwaukee inkzall pens come in blue, they have a large one, bigger then a king sharpie better price to. It’s what I use now, I have the spray can dychem, but it’s to much for the small stuff I usually play with.

Back