import axa wedge tool post are they all the same???

I've done some research and some buying myself. This is just my personal observation. China is capable of manufacturing high quality equipment, but they will make it to whatever price point you specify. You can buy the same product at a super low price (poor quality), a slightly higher price (better quality), and a "premium" price (best quality). This appears to be the same product manufactured by factories next door, or across the street from each other. If you pay a higher price, you get the premium product. If you're only interested in the lowest price, you'll get a product that looks the same, but doesn't have the same level of quality. The specs aren't as tight, and the QC isn't as good. Just my $.02

GG
That is all fine, but we are not purchasing direct from the actual manufacturer, and do not even know who that is. We are buying from a US based re-seller, and they mark prices up by whatever increments they choose, so price is not necessarily a predictor of quality, often simply an arbitrary profit margin, propped up by unsupported claims and often poor delivery of acceptable products. How can we as end consumers vet the vendors and their sources and so make choices that are not merely rolling the dice? If I have to roll dice, I do it for low stakes.

That is all fine, but we are not purchasing direct from the actual manufacturer, and do not even know who that is. We are buying from a US based re-seller, and they mark prices up by whatever increments they choose, so price is not necessarily a predictor of quality, often simply an arbitrary profit margin, propped up by unsupported claims and often poor delivery of acceptable products. How can we as end consumers vet the vendors and their sources and so make choices that are not merely rolling the dice? If I have to roll dice, I do it for low stakes.

You are correct, the retailer can mark any item to any price they want. Short of knowing the actual manufacturer price points, or having a reputable dealer/retailer, it is indeed a roll of the dice. I have noticed that Harbor Freight seems to be attempting to launch more premium products. I haven't tried any of them, but maybe they are recognizing consumer interest in better quality for a little more money. I hope so.

GG

It seems like if a Chinese manufacturer could get his name associated with the quality products he manufactures, then both the mfg. and the re-seller(s) could gain status and add value to the products. That is what we do here, why the big secrets?

It seems like if a Chinese manufacturer could get his name associated with the quality products he manufactures, then both the mfg. and the re-seller(s) could gain status and add value to the products. That is what we do here, why the big secrets?

It's a different culture that's used to doing things differently than we're used to. It does seem like it may be migrating more toward the western style now. Historically, there wasn't a lot of incentive to have the highest quality in a communist state.

GG

Please let me know how yours works. I did the same thing last friday and received min on monday. I if yours came out of the same lot as mine you may be dissapointed. I have mine all packed up and ready to ship back. Just havent decided if i want to try a replacement or not.
Earl
I've had it awhile with no problems the only problem I've notice is when tightening it down it tends to slightly cock the front end up I only really noticed it when trying to use the knurler that came with the set so I put my edge level seen in the pic on there and tested my other holders and it does it on all of them so it just set them a lil low then tighten them to level on the bubble ed-02-001-main.jpg this is the only qctp I've ever owned so I don't know if this is normal or just something mine does it makes setting the knurler up a bit of a hassle but other than that it's great I just bought a bunch of holders for cheap from shars so I have one for every tool and leveled them all with the lil edge tool lemme know if you have anymore questions I'll answer them if I can :)

Bob,

I ran the project management office when we built a 1.3B manufacturing operation in Tianjin. I lived there for 4 years straight and been back and forth totalling another couple of years. I dealt with the local business leaders and the higher ups in the city. In China it is all about making money these days, and anything is possible given the right position and connections. The reason we got what we wanted, including 1 day customs clearance because the project was the largest foreign investment in all of China at that time. Bragging rights is alive and well in the country, the project was the crown jewel for the City of Tianjin.

There are agents representing manufacturers, mostly their drinking buddies, but more often their former military buddies, who tend to control and protect their financial interest. The manufacturers themselves will explore business developments if the deal looks promising.

It has been seven years since my last business trip to China, back then in the city of Tianjin, if you are looking for a particular manufacturer, you can contact their city representative who has an office in NYC and SFO . He can put you in contact with his colleagues back in Tianjin. In the city they have fully furnished offices that they put foreigners and they will bring manufacturers' representatives to your office so they can give you run down on company's capability. The city will even provide an interpreter in case business representative has very limited English language skill.

I don't believe the manufacturer will purposely want to keep the deal quiet or lose the good deal.

The Chinese got so good in manufacturing since digging themselves from the dark ages of the cultural revolution in the 60s, partly due to their business savvy. They knew they did not have the know how and they want to jump start the industries without going though a very long learning curve. What did they do, they hired a lot of Taiwanese to run the businesses. It was brilliant, the Taiwanese speak the business language in the mainland and they posses the skills needed. The Chinese can manufacture to your spec at the price point you are willing to pay.

When we built the factory, we hired some of the best fresh out engineers we could find, ranging from undergraduate to a few advance degrees. We trained them here anywhere from 1 year to 2 1/2 years. When we sold the factory, these US trained engineers got scooped up by different industries. That was in 2004, now they are in various higher positions to make a difference in their own industries.

Back