Import EBay B & S #0 Indexing head.

Tim9

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Just want to comment how impressed I am with this import indexing head I just got from EBay retailer.
Brown Sharpe design copy of model 0 index head

I was expecting a decent set up because I read a few threads poo pooing the Indian imports. So far I really haven’t figured out where it’s made but it’s as nice as can be. A complete kit with all the accessories.... all the bells and whistles. Total cost 257.00 with FedEx shipping from New Jersey. It arrived within 4 days.
I was also expecting sand and grit. I’m telling there’s nothing there. This puppy is clean.
The only issue I had was that there was excessive end play in the worm crank handle. It worried me at first but after reading the instructions I found the procedure to adjust backlash of worm gear. Piece of cake. I’m telling you this is nice as the best Taiwan tools I’ve seen. I’m so happy I didn’t pay twice as much for a used Phase II off of eBay. Would have spent more and received less in my opinion.
I’ll post some pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
Here we go. 577FE962-3084-4CA3-BE62-6545B21D3767.jpeg

8F2B2A29-A5BA-4D95-B264-A936ACF712C9.jpeg

And made a wooden box for it. I find wood tends to cut down on condensation/sweating.
Still need to make the top for the box. FWIW it came with dead center MT2 and spindle is threaded 1-1/2 -8 tpi . Came with reversing jaws for Sanoi Chuck. Drive dog. And three plates for most every dividing option.
B4BF38B2-AF44-4430-B660-989F07173568.jpeg

Damn! That does look to be a bargain. Hope it serves you well. Thanks for the pics.

I tore mine apart upon arrival as well. I deburred the corners a bit and put a German bearing on the spindle, but it didn't need much more than a wipe down to be useful. It does the job, and starting with a complete set of pattern plates beats the alternatives. I would still like to have a nice Cinci or K&T dividing head one day, but this import DH will do just fine until then. If you're considering one, this is a good start.

In my view, the B&S (actual genuine) is the best of all, I have owned Cincinnati also, but B&S has the one most valuable feature of all, the graduated sector arms on the dividing plates, the graduation of them is noted in the dividing tables in their book, "practical Treatise on Milling and Milling machines", when setting up for a specific number of divisions, the # hole plate is listed and a column headed "graduation"; when the arms are set to that "graduation" number, the number of holes to be used on the plate is automatically counted and set = no mistakes in counting holes and resulting spoiled parts. None of the B&S knock offs incorporate the feature.

In my view, the B&S (actual genuine) is the best of all, I have owned Cincinnati also, but B&S has the one most valuable feature of all, the graduated sector arms on the dividing plates, the graduation of them is noted in the dividing tables in their book, "practical Treatise on Milling and Milling machines", when setting up for a specific number of divisions, the # hole plate is listed and a column headed "graduation"; when the arms are set to that "graduation" number, the number of holes to be used on the plate is automatically counted and set = no mistakes in counting holes and resulting spoiled parts. None of the B&S knock offs incorporate the feature.
Is this what you’re talking about ?
Graduated arms ?

Is this what you’re talking about ?
Graduated arms ?
Yes, that is what I was referring to. I might also say that other dividing heads have features that best B&S in some ways, including Cincinnati's high number plates (compared to smaller dia. plates on other makes) Is that there is normally only one plate, drilled on both sides, that allows many more circles to be used, including some that can index some prime numbers that B&S can only accomplish using differential indexing. Other heads using different ratios besides 40:1 have advantages as well for some work, especially in spiral cutting work.

Tim9,
It's really great to hear we can buy a decent indexing head for such a low price.
I am not smart enough to use a dividing head, but I plan on taking night classes at the local Community College when I retire. (2.5 years)
Dividing Head 101. Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7:00 PM. :) Tongue in cheek.
I think this tool separates the machinists from the hobby machinists, IMHO.

Tim9,
It's really great to hear we can buy a decent indexing head for such a low price.
I am not smart enough to use a dividing head, but I plan on taking night classes at the local Community College when I retire. (2.5 years)
Dividing Head 101. Tuesdays and Thursdays at 7:00 PM. :) Tongue in cheek.
I think this tool separates the machinists from the hobby machinists, IMHO.
They are really not all that complicated, at least at the level of the "0"

Back