Importance of Files in the Workshop

The first year of high school I had to take machine shop for three months. The instructor divided us into three groups. The first group started on the lathe. the second on the grinder and the third started with the file. At the time being a 14 year old kid did not seem very glamorous to have to take a 1/2" by 2" by 3" block and get all six sides square and to the proper measurements. From there went to drill press, grinder, and that glamorous lathe. I was one of the few guys that able to get that far( some lathe guys never did finish their project). Years later, I figured out that learning to file was one of the most valuable lessons in machine work. I also fine it satisfying and relaxing.
I also had to file a block of steel to all sides square and it is not that easy if you are a14 year old student. But today I can file and do it quite often in my home hobby workshop making various tools and projects. I must also say that filing is a very satisfying skill to have and having a mill as well as several grinding equipment I normally finish my project with a file .

Back