Important non machine tools to have?

From my perspective I think the two most important tools I have are an inquiring mind, and the ability to think outside the box, it helps to find new ways to do things, especially when I don't have the desired tool to do something.

Along Downunder Bob's line, I dislike the word "can't" especially when it is known that someone has not even made an effort to accomplish the task at hand. When I was in the Portland Quarry "wait" was synonymous with "stop production" which was directly opposite of our assignment. Are books classified as a tools? Out here in the machinist's lost frontier they are extremely valuable.
Have a good day
Ray

Large Stilison / pipe wrench to move immovable objects
Strap wrench
Vice grips, various sizes
Wire stripper / cutters
Good quality electrical tape
Soldering iron
Digital multi-meter
Flash light
Magnetic fisher-outer thing
Small scraps of paper towel to make due until you can find a band-aid

I forgot about this. I still need to finish compiling a list to sticky.

As far as my original intent, it wasn't so much an everything needed list, more a basic, hard to get along without list of tools for a beginner.

When I got my lathe, I kind of assumed I just needed the lathe and its special fittings and a way to accurately measure things.
I quickly found there were other tools that made life easier. Luckily I already had a fairly good assortment of tools on hand, but have bought a lot of duplicates so I don't have to raid the general tool box. Some were obvious (wrenches) some not so much (hammers).

I don’t know if anyone said it but it will take time and ALOT of money. You will see as with the lathe. You buy the lathe and it opens up a new department of tooling you I need. Start welding buy a welder than grinders and cutting tools and clamps on and on. For some it’s a sickness. I’ve been suffering from it since I was a child. Fourty years later I have a three car garage filled to the brim for every trade their is practically. I couldn’t tell you what to get it’s all second nature to me to go to the garage and have whatever to do the job.
Only advice I can give you is buy quality the first time. Wait till you have the money for the good one, you’ve waited this long. And take care of your tools that’s what make you capable to do the job. A friend of mine if you need a tool go outside and look on the ground. He leaves everything where he was working. Leaves a wooden level outside after setting acouple fence post. Then wonders why it’s got a bow in it. :frown: Good luck!

Thirty plus years of professional life have supplied me with almost all the pieces necessary for a hobby shop. The one thing I often miss is an electric metal saw. I understand the HF unit is acceptible, once spruced up, but I''m out of space.

A friend that can pick up a Boyar Schultz 612 off a pallet and set it on the ground with his meat hooks.....

Back