Important non machine tools to have?

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
As I read threads here, watch videos etc I continue to see misc tools bought up. Since they are general tools and not specific to any machine, they seem to be overlooked in the many I'm buying xyz machine, what should I get with it threads.

Some like sockets and wrenches are likely assumed to be owned by anyone contemplating a more complex tool like a lathe or mill. Others are common tools, but not quite so universal. An example in my case, I find myself looking at a variety of hammers. I have carpentry hammers, not metal working hammers.

Then there are specialty tools, probably nice to have for most, but not critical unless doing work that requires extreme precision or specific techniques. I've been following the various surface plate and lapping plate discussions currently ongoing (I didn't even know what either of these things were a week ago) and these seem to fall into this category. Many of the measuring tools also probably fall into this range. These are tools you tend to buy when you need them.

So if you were starting from scratch to build up a basic kit of general metal working tools for your shop, what are the most important tools you would want to start off with. As I'm sure this could be a long list feel free to shorten to a top 5, 10 or 20 as fits the stamina of your fingers. You are also more than welcome to write a dissertation about the perfect beginners tool kit, you will be guaranteed at least one reader (me).

And remember non-machine specific, although basic machines you feel should be in any shop that has a lathe (drill press, grinder etc) and machine tools like drill bits used in many machines would be appropriate to include.

Just to get things rolling and to reduce redundancy as I suspect everybody would list these, I'll suggest:

3/8" drive socket and ratchet set, metric and SAE, minimum sizes 1/4" / 6mm through 9/16 / 15mm, more is better

Box end wrenches, same sizes as above

Small 6 foot tape measure

Power drill and drill bits 1/16 to 3/8 (1/32 steps) (those of you in metric land substitute for metric sizes as appropriate)

Asst screw drivers, Phillips and standard

Allen wrench set (1/16-1/4" and 1.5mm - 7mm)

Without this minimum selection of tools, I would not have been able to even assemble most of the toys I've bought so far.

Sorry, I cannot list all the stuff in my garage. It would take me years to list it all:eek:.

That's why I threw in the top 5, 10, 20 whatever you feel comfortable with.

What are a couple of your go to tools that you would be lost without that people might not think about when they are starting out.

If you plan on doing any machining, you should have the full fractional drill bit set, 1/16 to 1/2 by 1/64ths. Among other items would be a hack saw and files. For measuring a caliper capable of reading to .001" or .01mm and a steel rule. I like the flexible rules reading to 1/50 inch in six inch and 18 inch lengths. A machinist's square in 8"length, scribes, dividers for layout. A dial indicator and/or test indicator and stand. A 0-1" micrometer is useful but not necessary depending on the work you're doing.

This will get you started and the list will grow.

There's not enough memory on here or mine to list every tool and machine in my shop. Let alone parts and tooling . It's an accumulated yearly for forty plus years along with inheritance and gifts . But to start you do need a good set of mechanics tools . Wrenches up to at least 1 1/4" sockets the same, ball pein hammers 8oz up to 32oz . Screwdrivers , torx and Allen wrenches pliers , vise grips. C clamps . The list goes on forever but to start this list should help . Get metric counterparts also

Here are a few things in no particular order:

Combination square (Starrett or equivalent) . Couldn't be without one.
Hammers, obviously. I seem to use my dead blow hammer more than any other so I would include that.
Calipers, dial or electronic plus at least one Indicator.
Drill press.
Belt sander. Never realized how useful they are until I got one. Use it all the time.
As far as drills go, I'll go out on a limb and say if I were starting today from scratch I would buy a set of screw machine
drill before I'd buy jobber length. The only time I need long drills is when I'm drilling 2 x 4's. Shorter drills are stiffer
and do a better job. But of course in the end a set of each would be good.

I'm only addressing things that relate to machining. As other have said, tools are acquired over time. I assume one owns socket sets, hammers, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. I consider these basic hand tools that cross-over to a variety of trades.

These are my top five (machinist related,/ultra newbie/what I found useful when I bought my first lathe) tools:
6" Digital caliper (It doesn't have to be digital.)
Dial indicator
Micrometer
1-2-3 blocks
QUALITY set of drill bits in increments of 64ths. (I already owned drill bits, but they were butchered from my days working as a plumber and in the construction field.:black eye:)

Bonus:
Calculator (Yes, this is basic and obvious. I now have a couple old cheap ones stuck to my garage cabinets with double sided tape. So handy to know where it is when I need it.)
A good quality printout of a drill chart/tap chart with conversions. (Stuck to the cabinet door beside that calculator.:grin:)
Adjustable Wrench (Yes, this is basic. But, I use it almost EVERY SINGLE TIME I'm working.)

I currently have in my 'shop':

Air Compressor
Parts Washer
Two 40" Craftsman toolboxes full of hand tools (too many to list here)
A Foredom flex-shaft hand grinder (sturdier version of a Dremel)
A small blast cabinet full of medium glass beads.
A 3-piece Kennedy tool box with measuring stuff (DIs, DTIs, calipers, mics, gauge blocks, pin gauges, etc., etc..) and lathe/mill specific tooling (too many to list here)
A 72" hand work bench
A iMac computer hooked to my WiFi (the one I'm typing on...)
Coffee pot
A 6 1/2 x 10" metal cutting bandsaw (Griz G4030)
Two grinders with various wheels
Two granite plates

Still to get:

Larger blast cabinet
AC/DC TIG welder w/accessories
A small combo sheet metal brake/shear

It's not a lot, but I manage. :)

Back