Important non machine tools to have?

Hammers are special, one does not use a claw hammer in a milling machine equipped with a direct read out as this will cause the electronics to fail in disgust, only a "brass machinist hammer" with an exquisitely knurled handle will work, the machine will know the difference.

Combination wrenches that have Bridgeport forged into the body are superior to those without such markings, while it is true that most any common hand tool will work those that are specific to machine work uniformly cost more yet make the user feel better about their choice.

Hope this helps

Many of the jobs I do in the home shop (and did in the job shop I spent 31 yrs. in) could not have been accomplished without the oxy/acy torch and an electric (mig, tig or arc) welder.

Just to get things rolling and to reduce redundancy as I suspect everybody would list these, I'll suggest:

3/8" drive socket and ratchet set, metric and SAE, minimum sizes 1/4" / 6mm through 9/16 / 15mm, more is better
Box end wrenches, same sizes as above
Small 6 foot tape measure
Power drill and drill bits 1/16 to 3/8 (1/32 steps) (those of you in metric land substitute for metric sizes as appropriate)
Asst screw drivers, Phillips and standard
Allen wrench set (1/16-1/4" and 1.5mm - 7mm)

Glaring items I see missing from your list:
Decent safety glasses that are good enough that you will actually wear them!
Square, machinist or an accurate combination square.
Calipers
Dial indicator - and holder
Center Transfer punch set
Punch set
Brass punches - for knocking metal around without maring
Brass hammer
Dead blow hammer
Clamps
Parallel set - I have 1/8" set and doing ok so far.
Pliers, Needle Nose pliers, wire cutters, wire strippers, flush cutting wire cutters, crimp tool.
Multi-meter
Big box of disposable rags
Files
Vise Grips
Hex bit set - HF selles a big set with the security bits in them which is really handy when you have an odd fastener that you don't have a driver for.
Precision / Jewelers screw driver set
Bench vise
Hacksaw - saw can be cheap but don't cheap out on hacksaw blades!
Crow bar
Hand drill

For some of these (Punches, hammers, some clamps or even screw drivers) harbor freight works fine. Tools that have joints or move like pliers, wire cutters, clamps, wrenches I feel it is best to buy Husky / Channel lock / other decent quality brands or better. HF can make some really crappy pliers that are miserable to use. I think for calipers and a square it is worth it to buy a top name tool because they get used so much and it is hard to maintain accuracy with some lower end of tools.

I am sure many members have been acquiring tools all their lives and just have these tools... But for someone just starting out I can see how a list of basic tools would be useful. Garage sales / estate sales are often a good place to find good tools at reasonable prices.

A Come-A-Long and a hand truck can come in awfully handy. An angle grinder is close to a required tool for me, so is a bench grinder.

Last edited:
A 4 1/2" angle grinder (or two or three) is extremely handy. I have three of them, one with a cut off wheel, one with a grinding wheel, and one with a sanding disc. Saves having to change wheels.

if i were going to make a basic kit for a hobbyist shop it would at least include these items- sorry if they are redundant to other posts
in no specific order...
6" and/or 8" dial calipers
Files
Hacksaw
dividers- straight and hermaphrodite
micrometers- up to 4" minimum, 6" if you have the resources
Combination Wrenches- 1/4" to 1" and 5mm to 24mm
Socket Set 3/8 drive 12point 1/4'-1" and 5mm to 24mm
Screwdriver Set- Phillips, Straight, TORX, (mini drivers too!)
Allen Wrenches -imperial and metric
Plier Set- needle nose, lineman's pliers, slip joint pliers, wire cutters, VISE GRIPS
Snap ring Pliers
Drill
Imperial drill bits #60 to 1/2", A-Z
Hammers- a Soft Faced, a Brass, a 32oz Deadblow ball peen, a 4lb lil' friend too
Punches and Chisels
Feeler Gauges
Taps and Dies

Thank you, seems like people are starting to get the idea. This came about because of little things I am running across. Seeing a youtuber grab a fairly basic tool, and I'm thinking, so that is what that is for, or that is so much easier than how I do it without that tool. Often a fairly low cost item available at almost any hardware store if you know to look for it.

I am very new to this so almost daily I'm finding out about something new that I didn't even know I didn't know. Last night I "discovered" the fish tail gauge, not expensive but apparently kind of handy to have around.

This morning I searched for threads on general recommended shop tools, but what I mostly found were "I'm getting ready to buy / just bought xyz machine what tooling should I get" threads, and those for the most part center around lathe / mill specific tooling, endmills, center drills etc. Some measuring devices are generally mentioned as they are such an important factor with those tools, but very little on things like screw drivers, thread gauges, punches, and other misc tools that are probably assumed to be in possession of somebody buying a lathe or mill.

Sure the list could be huge, but certainly there are a dozen or two tools that are at least very nice to have if not must have tools regardless of the kind of machining projects you do.

I went with 1/4"-9/16" (and metric counter part) sockets / wrenches because those are the sizes I have frequently found useful in general. Sure I have larger sockets for specific purposes, but they don't get used all that much. I'd guess 3/8", 1/2" and 9/16" (plus the corresponding metric sizes) alone account for close to 75% of my lifetime socket needs.

I hope that makes my intent clearer, I'm not expecting a full inventory of tool chests from a lifetime of collecting tools, or a list of highly specialized tools needed for making kerosene lamp widgets. Just a list of tools you use frequently in your projects that you wouldn't want to do without, at least those relating to machining.

Aaron, I'll contribute but how about at the end of this thread you compile a summary and see if the mods will make it a sticky. This comes up often enough that it should be one.

I can do that. Unless the posts lock themselves after a time (some forums do), I can edit it right into the first post to make it easy to find.

Glaring items I see missing from your list:

Was just meant as an ice breaker. I was just thinking of the tools I initially used while setting up the lathe and mill.

if i were going to make a basic kit for a hobbyist shop it would at least include these items- sorry if they are redundant to other posts

No need to apologize, I can edit redundant tools when I compile the list.

A pair of walkie-talkies - or similar - if the need or situation was bad enough, just keying the mic would bring help!

It's getting tough to find items not already listed:

Swarf Brushes
Squeeze bottles for lubricants & coolant
Paper towel dispenser and towels
Waterless hand lcleaner
Flux brushes
Tongue depressors for applying grease or mixing epoxies
Number punches (letters too, eventually)
Utility knife or three
Magnetic & claw-style reach / pick up tools
Rubber or vinyl etc. gloves
Shop shoes
a few 'Radio' chassis punches
'Laser' thermometer
Extension cords
Offset screwdrivers
Duct tape
Wheel dresser when you get a bench grinder
Whetstone or two
Hemostats (surgical tweezers)
nut starter
Soldering iron & appropriate solder
Propane torch
Nut Buster (sometimes they work :)
Thread chaser
Electric Engraver

I would be lost without my battery powered drill, impact, grinder and bandsaw bill

Back