Importing a Chinese lathe

I did call up and chat with the guys at DRO Pros, and they said the tariffs are bankrupting them and they stopped importing machines.

Toolots does cary a Weiss and Bolton branded version of the same machine though.

When I purchased lathes and mills, other than the specs. the first thing I consider is service and parts. I have seen way too many of these import lathes where purchasers have been left with no support and no parts (like Bolton and Weiss in years past). Parts are often not interchangeable, even if machines appear to be similar and many distributors will only sell parts for their machines. You would be much better off with something like the Weiss WBL290Fwhich is sold by DRO Pros for close to the same price, comes with a 5 year warranty and you get some discount on the DRO or install your own for $200. I do about 30% of my work as metric, with a DRO you can read whatever numbers you prefer. Threading is a bit different, I personally would not go with either of these machines because the number of change gears on these models. There is the PM1228 which offers a bit more and the foot print is still pretty decent, 1236T is also nice but a bit bigger. If you want a metric version, I would contact DRO Pros, QMT or for that matter Weiss USA and see if they can import a metric version. At this price level, I do not see the value of trying to import a machine to save a few hundred dollars. I imported a major brand mill from Canada, it had a number of significant issues/defects, many of which never got fixed under "warranty". The few parts that I did get took many months, during which the mill was not usable. Others with the same mill, and also those with Sieg mills had the motor drive fail. The cost of the replacement board was over $1000, so a decent warranty and service is peace of mind even if you do not use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark makes a really good case, Andy. Support for a new machine is important. It isn't like you can get spare parts on ebay. If the factory leaves you flat, you're done.

+1 on working exclusively in metric.

I always choose to buy machines that are as common as I can find (i.e. brand names that everybody has heard of). I am looking ahead to the day when it needs a new circuit board or any other part that I wouldn’t be able to fabricate. Common brands also make troubleshooting via Google easier, not to mention resale value.

Last edited:
My other option is to buy the 10” Grizzly?

I’ve got a finite amount of money and trying to stretch it as far as it can go, and trying to start a business.

I’ve got about $3000 max, so that’ll buy a 10” Grizzly, DRO and bench.

Or a much higher spec machine imported from China.

I don’t know...

My thought as well. Support for new machines is important.

I hope they have a full change gear set available for that lathe. They also don't say what kind of spindle mount it has, nor do they quote their spindle run out specs. All important stuff to me, Andy.

I got another email back from manufacturer and they said it’s available in high precision spec for an extra $100 that gets Higher spec parts and guarantees 0.005mm spindle runout.

So, hmm, decisions decisions...

Last edited:
Anyone know if these tariffs are set to expire anytime soon?
Why tariff something which isn't manufactured here?
Punitive I guess... sorry about what may be perceived as a rant.

Anyone know if these tariffs are set to expire anytime soon?
Why tariff something which isn't manufactured here?
Punitive I guess... sorry about what may be perceived as a rant.

Tariffs will likely expire after January if you catch what I’m saying.

They’re a political stunt, and serve no other purpose. US manufacturers have not made small lathes in FORTY years, they only make extreme high dollar enterprise CNC where there is more profit. There simply isn’t enough profit with the smaller tools for US manufacturers to bother with.

What tarrifs are doing is hurting small business and consumers because tarrifs are an extreme regressive tax.

.001 mm run-out? If they claim that run away, they're crooks.

Back