Improving cheap drill press, maybe?

John TV

Registered
Registered
So after drilling many less than accurate holes on my cheap floor model drill press and using an even cheaper HF drill press vice. I started to look how to improve my chances.

I replaced the factory chuck with an older Jacobs 1/2 inch keyed chuck and that improved the run out substantially.

Then looking at the cheap HF vice there was nothing on it flat or square so to the mill it went, and with milling and new jaws that vice is now fairly flat within a thou or two, and that's ok for my work.

Now for the drill press table. I was able to shim that two within a thou or two also, again ok for my nuub level of accuracy. Measuring was done by sweeping a dial indicator mounted in the chuck.

But here is where I could use some ideas.

When I put downward pressure on the table, simulating a heavy drilling operation the table flexes down 4 or 5 thou. That is at the table edge, most likely about 2 thou at spindle.

I am thinking I would like to make a table support to add some down force rigidity.

First, is it worth it, or is .002 good enough?

Needs to be fairly quick and simple since height is adjusted often.

Does not need to be engaged for every operation. Only those requiring a bit more accuracy.

I'm thinking of a sliding ring that can be tightened on the column then a turnbuckle type bar that would push against the far side of the table at approximately 45 degrees.

My mill (Van Norman #12) does not have a quill so any drilling is with the knee. So I would like to make the drill press reasonably accurate if possible.

Any thoughts or other ideas? Has anyone had success doing something similar?

Long winded,
John in Minnesota!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alchemy is a discredited discipline. Good older USA drill presses are still thick on the ground. Why not send the Chicom down the road for whatever it will bring and apply that toward a more solid DP?

jack vines

Loved that first line, Lol.

Jack, I think that that USA drill press is in my future, just not sure when.

I started looking online and at a local used equipment seller. Not giving them away in my area by any means. But need to start the coffee can "kitty".

I need to be frugal for a while while we recover from helping a family member with crazy legal fees.

So for the short term just looking for a little better performance. So far no out of pocket expense, and I'm still learning so it's fun just to try.

John in Minnesota

Maybe you can find an inexpensive camera tripod at a second hand store, the kind with telescoping legs. Strip one leg off, epoxy in a nut with some all thread or bolt, and then just stick it under the table when you need it. The built in clamps would be your coarse adjust, the nut and bolt for fine adjust. I’m thinking it would probably support quite a bit without slipping.

Yes, a good thought and it would be a quick set up. May have to drop into a shop or two and see what I can find.

It got me thinking maybe two poles, pipes or tubes that nest inside each other and drill holes every 6 inches or so then pin at close height and use your nut/ thread to fine adjust. Would not be as light or as fast as the adjustable leg set up though.

Thanks For the thoughts.

John

That would work too. They also make extendable poles for paint rollers but that would mean buying one.

Oh I can always cough up a little money for tools without feeling too guilty, just not the low 4 figures they want for a fairly good drill press. At least not for a while.

Paint stick idea may be the trick. Have to check that out.

John

If you have one around, a farm jack might work for holding the end of the table up. Think hi-lift, but more ghetto..

@John TV

You did not mention if your current drill press has a table lock to the column.
Sometimes I leave my table loose and just use the rack and pinion for quick height adjustment.
However, I know that to get the table square to the drill bit I need to lock the table.

Mine has a split casting around the vertical column, and a handle with toggle around back.
Like these pictures I found online.....
1579577819334.png 1579577751193.png

-brino

1579577819334.png

1579577751193.png

Attachments

• 1579577880142.png
    1579577880142.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 6
John---I would use a hydraulic bottle jack with a quick range of 12 to 15 inches ---just make a base to set on the floor portion of drill to set the jack on---probably 4 cement blocks stacked would work good and easy to add or subtract for quick height changes---they are only $1 each and you probably already have hyd. jacks--good place to store them and add weight to your drill press---keep it simple and inexpensive---Dave

Back