Improving dial indicator bezel movement

Razzle

Jack of All, Master of None
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone had any success in improving the movement of the bezel on cheap indicators? I have a couple of chinesium dial and test indicators. They work ok but I get frustrated that turning the dial to zero messes up the setup. Is there any way to improve the stiction?

I realize that the best option is to buy a quality indicator and that is on the wishlist. But money is not available right now. So I am working with what I have.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Has anyone had any success in improving the movement of the bezel on cheap indicators? I have a couple of chinesium dial and test indicators. They work ok but I get frustrated that turning the dial to zero messes up the setup. Is there any way to improve the stiction?

I realize that the best option is to buy a quality indicator and that is on the wishlist. But money is not available right now. So I am working with what I have.

I'd like to hear that answer too! I find that 'good' indicators get ruined just as fast in my shop, getting sticky/ covered in oil/etc fast enough that it isn't worth investing in good ones, so i keep a pile of 'throw-aways'. It would be great if there was a usable solution here!

I apologize for the stupid question. Can a moderator please delete this thread so it doesn't clutter the feed.
Thank you.

I for one didn’t think it was a stupid question, I just didn’t have a useful answer.

In addition to several “nice” indicators I also have a handful of cheapies scattered around various machines. And one has a sticky bezel that drives me nuts. I tried a small drop of oil and it seems to have made it worse (aluminum on aluminum, oil no good) but I don’t want to fool with taking it apart for cleaning which I expect is what it really needs. Should just toss it….., but I won’t.

NOT a stupid question. Sorry if it seemed anybody thought so. I've been watching to see if anyone had any ideas. Most of my stuff is cheap import, and I've had a peek inside. I didn't come up with anything that would help. But it's a great question. Imagine if somebody figured this out!

NOT a stupid question. Sorry if it seemed anybody thought so. I've been watching to see if anyone had any ideas. Most of my stuff is cheap import, and I've had a peek inside. I didn't come up with anything that would help. But it's a great question. Imagine if somebody figured this out!
I don't think it is a stupid question and I have been in the trade for 30 years.
About 20 years ago I bought two identical Starrett .0005 linear travel indicators for going up and down the cylindrical square.
They were plagued with poor fitting dials, I had them serviced and they were better but not good enough for my work, they have been parked since.
I would like to take apart a couple of these cheap indicators and see how they are assembled, it wouldn't be like I disassembled a Mitutoyo, Starrett or other expensive indicator.

I did take apart the dial on one of my chinesium units and tried to deburr and adjust the tension but it seemed like the brass spring might be too thick. I didn't have the patience to continue with it that day.
I also have some used starrett last word and federal dial indicators I picked up on fleabag. They all have the same issue and I haven't been brave enough to try disassembling them yet.
I am not good with small work. Arthritis makes me clunky. So I have avoided trying to address the issues. Was just hoping somebody might have found an improvement that was worth the effort.

Ok, for once i may actually be able to contribute instead of just asking questions. this could be a long one. i decided to sit down at a comfortable table and actually take a good look at this. i started with my accusize dial test indicator. .0005 at .30 range. i bought this one on amazon because i had read great reviews about how smooth the action was for the price that you pay. Wanted to check tram on my mill. i was disappointed. the bezel was stiff and jerky to move. action looked smooth so i kept it and chucked it up to a learning experience about trusting reviews on amazon. This was the unit i had tried to fix before by just deburring but had no success.
Just so you are prepared, here is what i used tool wise: Micro screwdriver set (phillips and straight), micro tweezers, Optivisor (a must if you are vision challenged), flashlight, set of small diamond sharpening sticks, rubber soldering pad with part depressions (those screws love to jump), clean rag, graphite lube (like for locks although this one is not necessary as you will see). Watch hand removal tools (these are a must, cheap to buy, buy them).
Disassembly:
Gently pry off the bezel cover. Did this with a flat blade under the bezel edge and slowly worked it off. you will end up with a bezel ring, bezel glass (plastic) and a plastic ring. dont lose this ring it sets the distance between the face and the glass bezel to give the hand room to move. (ask me how i know).
Use the watch hands to gently pry off the hand using the removal tools. be careful, it likes to jump too (just like the pesky screws).
Remove the face, nothing holds it on but the hand and the bezel ring.
You will now be confronted with a brass or steel plate (escutcheon?) that the armature (wrong word) pokes through with anywhere from 2 to 4 screws holding it down.
Remove the screws carefully and place them in something to keep them corralled (like i said, they like to jump AND they respond to gravity better than most objects and will roll in directions you though were impossible)
Take off the 'escutcheon plate, the ring shaped spring and the bezel back. Be VERY careful as my indicator had the face spring exposed at this point. Messing this up is a great way to ruin an indicator. You should now have 4 component parts that all are involved in this Bezel rotation smoothness problem:
Dial indicator body, note the spring.
PXL_20210731_191806578.jpg
Escutcheon plate:
PXL_20210731_191834310.jpg
Spring (the real culprit):
PXL_20210731_191824258.jpg
Bezel back plate:
PXL_20210731_191814213.jpg
The Fix:
I started by deburring every one of these pieces using a fine and superfine diamond stick. All the edges felt like they were just punched out and not cleaned at all. After i got them where i thought they should be i started putting them together again and moving the action to see how they felt. Did they still feel rough, was there any binding between the parts, etc. After a few back and forth's, i decided to put some graphite lube at the mating points (just a tiny bit applied with a toothpick brush. to make a toothpick brush you get one toothpick, and chew on one end until it resembles a brush. ;-) i then assembled the four pieces (NOTE the escutcheon has a tiny hole in the center for the armature, mine was a 'Ruby Jewel' you MUST get this lined up or BAD THINGS HAPPEN), put the screws back in, and then tested the action. DARN, still hard to move. Hmmm, what next. I took it apart again, then left the spring off and put it together. Hmmmm, definitely needs the spring, too floppy otherwise. Is the spring too thick? how the heck do i measure that? i dont have the right tools for that. Wait a minute? that spring looks like a sine wave when you look at it from the side (couldnt get a good pic, sorry). Wonder if i could just unbend those bends a bit and see if that helps.
Well i did so, and reassembled the four parts, and wouldnt you know it, that fixed the problem almost totally. i was so happy i did NOT take it apart again to adjust the spring. It could use some fine tuning on the bends but i was too happy to care.

So I put the whole thing back together(this is where i discovered the importance of the plastic ring between the face and the bezel glass). NOTE: putting the hand back on is an exercise in patience and a steady hand. neither of which i have in abundance. Tweezers and optivisor DEFINATELY came in handy here. Also, a watch press would be handy. using needle nose to squeeze the bezel back on is sooo hammer and chisel mechanic (thank you MrPete).

i was so impressed that it worked so easily that i decided to try it on my ultra cheapo chineseum dial test indicator (7 jewels ya know, somebody should tell the repeatability about that). Guess what? Same problem, same solution.
Then i decided to try it on my Horror Freight Dial Indicator that i have had for 10+ years. Hmmm, built a little differently, instead of a spring, the escutcheon holds the clock works and has a slit in each side that is bent down to work as a spring. a little unbend and whalla (sp?) much smoother action.

So i have concluded that these things use a punched spring that is not calibrated. just punched out and formed in the same operation, and the poor chinese assembler who is paid by the piece doesnt have time to tweak it to work. My guess is this is why Mitutoyo, Interapid, and high end Starretts cost what they do. the springs are probably calibrated and adjusted at assembly. OH, and the fit and finish too.

I am sure the deburring helped quite a bit. in fact it could use more of that. but the graphite was probably totally unnecessary. You could definitely spend alot of time adjusting the spring for just the right feel. and i may go back and do that. But i spent about an hour on the first one with all the troubleshooting. The second one took me 15 minutes, with some deburring. The last one was 10 with NO deburring.

YMMV, but this is definitely worth some time if you have these type indicators and would like to actually use them.

I would love to hear if this works for anyone else

Back