In search of a good Steady Rest (Finished)

8ntsane

Active User
Registered
Re: In search of a good Steady Rest

This should be a great build, and of interest to many members here. Seems so many lathes get passed around, and dont have the steady, or as in Bill,s case, not big enough to do the job.

I looked over the drawing, and I think it will be a nice piece when Bill gets it done. Being that its been decided by Bill to make the steady now, because it is needed for his other project, and post the build up of this project will have many of the members watching the progress.

I can say that from the drawing, this isnt going to be a run of the mill quick and dirty build. Im sure this steady will be of the best quality. Now its been started, keep yer eyes peeled, the good stuff is yet to come ;)

I blew that drawing plan pic up larger and looked at it too. I'm not anywhere close to a machinist, so it really impressed me. Looks like some nice sliding features in the adjusting tubes, knobs, etc. Am I reading it right? Curious what the material cost would be on this project - not that I am attempting one - just curious.

Bill,

Could I talk you into scanning your drawing and posing it. I can't seem to save it or make a good quality enlargement of the one you posted so I can see the details of your design. I need to make one for my Micromark 7x14.

Chuck

This is just the type of thread I'd like to see more of on this site. If we are building things anyway, it doesn't take much time to snap a few pics and document it for others. It's not only an excellent way for the new machinist to learn, it's also great for the more experienced to see how others work. So if you guys are building something, snap a few pics and show us how it's done!

Keep up the good work Bill.

Tom

Glad you stopped by. I can answer the price question in two parts. #1 -- How good can you scrounge? #2 -- If you have to pat for it all I'd guess at $90.00, depending on where you are located. The biggest expense will be for the two 7" dia. pieces of Aluminum 1" thick. The reason for two is the overlap where it opens up. You are pretty much correct on how it works. You have a good eye for a non-machinist.

Now, I've been in the shop for 4 hours and have three 11/32 holes drilled 2 1/2 inches deep. O have three holes drilled and tapped 5/16-18 thru.

"Billy G" :biggrin:

Oh, I can scrounge with the best of 'em :biggrin: Thanks.

That must have been interesting (and time consuming) tapping the three holes, not to mention the drilling. Patience is a virtue! (chuckle)

That is going to be a great Steady Rest. Now if I needed one I'd steal your idea. :biggrin:

Paul

Looking good, Bill. Those should give you a good feel for the surface of the work. It might not hurt to drill a couple of holes in the outside face, just in case one of them ever gets tight to turn. You could use an adjustable pin wrench from an angle grinder to loosen it rather than clamping a pair of vise-grips on your knurled surface.

Bill for what its worth, I wrote on this somewhere awhile back (sorry dead camara) I cut my housing
out of 1/2 plate, one big, one small ground and trimed those, then I used Detroit Diesel cam followers
(valve lifters) they are hardened big with a nice foot print. I turned three pieces of thick pipe internally
to these lifters, welded these three to the housing welded three nuts to the tops (downfeed) three bolts
with lock nuts. The rollers track the work perfectly cause of their wide foot print. Very strong too.
Just another quick idea that works for me Sam

4-2-2012 12;27;39 PM.jpg

Looking good! And congrats on the 42 years - I'll hit the same mark at the end of May. Hope you are enjoying the anniversary. :halo:

Back