In search of a good Steady Rest (Finished)

Re: In search of a good Steady Rest

I saw that a few years back. It's still hilarious! :biggrin:

Okay, it's "show my ignorance" time. :eek: Bill, I'm not familiar with the "wire cutter". Is that somewhat similar to a bandsaw?

Thanks,

-Ron

Thanks ScrapMetal - I thought I was the only uninformed person here when it came to wire cutters. Looks similar to a plasma cutter table setup, but..........??

That's gonna be the prettiest center rest I've ever laid eyes on! :biggrin:

Very cool Bill... Now I want one! :drool: :biggrin:

-Ron

Wire EDMs is something else. We have two in the shop, usually making stamping die parts and other stuff. To the layman, I tell them to think of a metal cutting bandsaw that the blade does not touch the metal. I then say that it actually cuts by the reverse of welding. It removes the metal by pulling it away from the part and it is washed away by water, where it is filtered and polished to be reused. The wire is a one time use and goes to recycling.

They can hold very tight tolerances with proper operation and maintainence. Here are some pictures of a Wire cut object that is 2 pieces and the mating surfaces are spot on. They are not cut together, they are seperately cut. The program has to take into consideration for the wire size and total size of the cut. A .010" tends to cut about .013", .003 overburn. This varies with the material being cut.
Pierre

gf3.jpg gf2.jpg gf1.jpg

Another big use for wire EDM is making blanking dies. By tilting the wire, a profile can be cut that yields a punch and a die from the same piece of steel. Once the profile is cut, the punch and die are hardened and ground to the desired clearances. The process saves a lot of steel and a lot of time over making the punch and die separately.

Tom

Looking good Billy, One more good day should finish it up....:biggrin:

Paul

Don't know bout the other folks but I'm still watching.:biggrin:

Paul

Yep, wouldn't want to miss any of it!

I'am watching too, but have to go to the kitchen from time to time to eat, and work tends to get in the way as well!:biggrin:

Back