Increase Taig Lathe Spindle Thru-hole Diameter?

Dave C

Registered
Registered
The spindle thru-hole is 9.5mm and change, I need to increase it to pass a 10mm lead-screw for a project, has anyone successfully increased the diameter?

Is there a bolt-in spindle out there with an increased diameter?

In my mind where everything is easy I envision just drilling the spindle with a 10mm drill bit just as though the spindle were any other part drilled on the lathe.

Thoughts?

TIA-
Dave

I believe that a reamer is used. The 7x10 yahoo group has one for lone if you are a member of the group. The spindle on my HF 7x12 is .91" or 22.86MM so your 10mm lead-screw should pass through fine.

Thanks- a 10mm reamer?
The hole thru the spindle on the taig may be much smaller than the 7x12, reported to be 0.375 inches (9.525 mm).

I really want to try this thing out, but it arrived yesterday with a locked-up motor, replacement has not yet arrived.

Dave

I have drilled 3/8 successfully, that gets me one leadscrew through.

Have practiced on a small extra section of the screw, 304SS, worked will with a micrograin carbide from mcmaster- until I chipped it messing something up.
I have ordered some indexable HSS 1/4 sq bits, I hear HSS leaves a better surface finish and is more suitable to the dainty cuts a mini needs to make.

Dave

Back