Increasing the capacity and utility of a small lathe

firbikrhd1

Active User
Registered
My Latest project involved boring some large diameter holes in a part that is too long to swing in my 10" Logan lathe. Since my vertical mill isn't completely put back together yet I had to use my trusty Globe Milling Head to "raise the center" of my lathe to complete the work. You don't see much about Globe Milling Heads on the Internet or elsewhere, but they are surprisingly versatile and significantly enhance the capabilities of a small machine. Nothing spectacular about any of this but I thought others with small lathes might be interested in what can be done to enhance the utility of their machines. A few years ago HSM magazine had an article about making a similar attachment.
I used Masonite as a sacrificial surface for my face plate, clamped the work to it by using one available hole in the work and some step clamps. RPM's were kept low so balance and throwing a clamp didn't concern me. Holes were roughed out with a plasma cutter and finished to size in the lathe.

Well that's darned interesting. I'll have to put that on my look-out list.

knudsen, it is belt driven by a pulley that screws on the spindle where the chuck usually is to a jack shaft which in turn drive a belt to the milling head spindle.
Randy, I was fortunate to have this accessory come with the Logan lathe when I bought it years ago. I've only used it a few times but it's worth it's weight (and it's heavy) when it is needed.

Back