Index-40 Question

Thanks
Mine has a 1/4hp . Wanting to change it and was thinking 1 horsepower
Cheers
Martin

on this same subject, my 40 has come with...wait for it...a 5HP motor!

why anyone put that on i don't know - the motor is half the size of the mill

question: will i hurt anything using such an over-sized motor?

if so, i am sure it will go quickly on ebay...what would folks use instead (needs to be single phase...220 is fine)

thanks

on this same subject, my 40 has come with...wait for it...a 5HP motor!

why anyone put that on i don't know - the motor is half the size of the mill

question: will i hurt anything using such an over-sized motor?

if so, i am sure it will go quickly on ebay...what would folks use instead (needs to be single phase...220 is fine)

thanks

Holy cow 5hp?! Most I've ever seen on even a larger turret mill is 3hp (and those were Chinese horses)

Smaller tapers such as B&S 9 and R8 really can't deliver that much power anyhow.
For reference, early Series 1 Bridgeport mills shipped with a 1hp or sometimes even 1/2hp motor

On my model 39 (which is the 99% the same as a 40) I have a single phase 3/4hp motor and it's done just fine.

I say put that 5hp beast up on ebay and use the money to get a nice 3/4 or 1hp single phase motor
Even better would be a three phase motor and a vfd (for variable speed)

Reactions: Guv
Is the vfd advantage that you never have to change the belt to achieve different speeds?

So you would leave the belt pulley setup on the highest speed and then control downward with the vfd?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Is the vfd advantage that you never have to change the belt to achieve different speeds?

So you would leave the belt pulley setup on the highest speed and then control downward with the vfd?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A VFD will provide "infinitely variable" speed control, however running the motor at very low speeds can be detrimental to it unless it was designed as an inverter duty motor.
Most motors are cooled by an internal fan mounted on their shaft, and running the motor at slower than designed speeds means this fan spins slower than normal - which can lead to over heating.

You will likely still need to swap belts even with the VFD, just not as frequently.
For example using the highest pulley on your model 40, you may be able to reasonably adjust between 1000 to 3000 rpm with the VFD.
Lower speeds would require a belt change.

On my Logan lathe, I'll run the VFD between 20hz and 75hz, and being able to adjust the speed while its running has been great for achieving a nice surface finish.
I also think that 3 phase motors in general produce a more consistent surface finish than single phase motors.

Back