Index 660 Converto-Mill

5ubtle

some guy
Registered
Hi folks,

I've been lurking around, and have found some great information to help me with my recently purchased 1965 Index 660. It is a combination vertical mill and horizontal mill. The vertical head is like a model 645. The horizontal portion seems to be much like the model 60. It mostly all works, but I am in the process of disassembly to clean out the old grease, etc. I thought that I'd post up some pictures, and let you know that I may be asking for some advice during the rebuild.

CL Ad Photo.jpg

DSCF4420b.jpgDSCF4414b.jpgDSCF4436b.jpgDSCF4449b.jpg

Welcome aboard H-M. Are you planning a full rebuild or a major clean down and tuneup?
Keep the pics coming.

All man, I've been lusting for one for the last 40 years when I saw a brand new one in a shop that used to do work for the company I worked for back then. It was a newer one on a 800 series frame. Nice!

Whats the S/N of yours?

Welcome aboard.

We have several of us here that have the 645 and 745 versions of your mill that hang out here.
I run mine on a VFD so I don't have to shift those belts around for different speeds. Keep that in the back of your mind for future updates. You can also be creative and run both spindle motors using the same VFD with a three way switch.

Ken

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Z2V: Maybe "rebuild" was too strong of a word for what I'm planning. I just want to make sure that the machine won't be damaging itself when I use it. "Maintenance" might be a better word. I disassembled the quill powerfeed gearbox because the powerfeed reversing shift shaft was not moving smoothly. I found the 50 year old #0 grease had turned into cheddar cheese. I plan on "at least" a complete disassembly and cleaning of the vertical head.

4gsr: Serial 660 11163.

DSCF4470b.jpg

Nice machine!

It appears that you also have power feed on both X and Y axes - awesome!

Hi and welcome, real nice machine , best of two in one. Good brand too. Ill keep an eye on future progression.

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Z2V: Maybe "rebuild" was too strong of a word for what I'm planning. I just want to make sure that the machine won't be damaging itself when I use it. "Maintenance" might be a better word. I disassembled the quill powerfeed gearbox because the powerfeed reversing shift shaft was not moving smoothly. I found the 50 year old #0 grease had turned into cheddar cheese. I plan on "at least" a complete disassembly and cleaning of the vertical head.

4gsr: Serial 660 11163...............................

Yep, you're correct! born in 1965. Mine was born one year earlier, s/n 10131

Ken

I've been working on cleaning and painting the vertical head. Most recently, I removed the turret. Some of the parts have been painted, but I don't have any pictures yet of painted parts.

I read in the manual that there are grease fittings for the head tilting worm and worm gears. My machine does not have these. Does anybody have them on your machine? I am considering adding them while it is apart.

DSCF4578b.jpgDSCF4641b.jpgDSCF4690b.jpgDSCF4694b.jpgDSCF4777b.jpgDSCF4795b.jpg

If it were mine I'd use oil cups or a pressurized oil system . On the gears for rotating and sliding I'd pack them with a good synthetic grease and use oil cups to lube the surfaces. Ball oilers work on slides real well. While it's apart is the time to add these. Drill and deburr and clean holes make good oil fill areas.

Here's where they are on my 645:
IMG_0469.JPGIMG_0470.JPG

Back