Index 745 - What to look for

B1akeM

Registered
Registered
I apologize for the long post, I just have many questions about buying a mill. I had wanted to purchase a mill since the first day I used one, only to have my dreams crushed by cost. I kept lowering my standards until I came across the Chinese machines, then I turned back. I would really like to have something American made, even if it needs a lot of TLC to get it going. Craigslist has always been my source for tools, so naturally I want there to find a mill. After some on and off searching, it seems that they are either $30k CNC or nothing more than scrap. Anyway, I came across this Wells-Index model 745 for $1850, but I have absolutely no idea if this is anything reasonable to pay for one of these. It looks like there is some rust on the table, maybe in the ways too, but I don’t know what is considered bad. It has a new motor on it, and he says that he still has the old one. Would this be a selling point or something to avoid? Would it even be feasible to talk him down on price to compensate for the wear?

If memory serves, the Index is a Bridgeport clone, not a bad machine at all. The 745 probably refers to the size of the table, 7 inches being kinda narrow compared to the length, 45". Assume only power quill feed.
I don't know the market in Dallas, but the price is probably not out of line assuming good operating condition. Look for machine marks on the table, if they are present, other wear is probable. if absent it was taken care of. (Probably). Verify that it runs, without undo noise, not rattles or grinds, do not reject the old motor, they can be rebuilt.

Wells-Index made and makes very nice mills. No issue there. Condition and proper functioning, you will have to see for yourself. Remember these two words: "Show me." Make sure the machine does everything it is supposed to. If it can not be demonstrated, then you need to know how to fix it to determine the impact on purchasing it. An asking price is just that. Offer no more than what you want to pay for it and no more. At that price, whether you get it or not, you will be happy with the outcome. Make sure the seller knows your reasoning about the price, and stick to your guns. There are always lots more machine deals out there, especially just after you buy one... :eek:

Thank you both for your responses. I am certainly not in a hurry to buy a mill. This one jumped out at me for some reason and it happened to be close by. I will try to contact the seller about the condition of the machine. If it is functional, I may look at it. Is Craigslist a good place to be shopping for a machine like this? I am still not familiar with the market for these. I have come across some service/sales places, but everything seems to be showroom quality and way out of my price range.

I am a big proponent of Wells Index mills as I've been very happy with my 860 for a few years now. While they can be considered a Bridgeport clone they are actually quite a bit more substantial. One of the biggest benefits of getting a WI is that they are still in business and offer both support and parts (parts aren't cheap by any means though). They even offer complete rebuilding services for many of their more recent machines. FYI - Their web site kind of sucks though: http://www.wells-index.com/

Hope that helps,

-Ron

Thank you both for your responses. I am certainly not in a hurry to buy a mill. This one jumped out at me for some reason and it happened to be close by. I will try to contact the seller about the condition of the machine. If it is functional, I may look at it. Is Craigslist a good place to be shopping for a machine like this? I am still not familiar with the market for these. I have come across some service/sales places, but everything seems to be showroom quality and way out of my price range.
Craigslist is a great place to buy machinery, as long as you take it for what it is worth. It is free to the buyer and the seller, most of the things for sale will be in your area, or any other area you want to search. Lots of the stuff on CL is stuff people want badly to get rid of, soon. The price is not really the issue, getting it out of the way is a big issue, and the seller often has little idea what he/she is selling. That is how great deals are made. My mode of doing it is: I don't NEED anything. I won't put up with B.S. or anything that appears that it might be shady. I will try to learn as much as I can about the items and the sellers before making a drive. I will have cash and a way of getting it home. I will only deal on my own terms, though always treating the seller as kindly as possible and with respect. When it is getting time to leave, I always ask "are there any other things you are hoping to sell?" The last one is how I have made some of my best deals. And this one I learned from my dad, who was unbelievable at making deals: "I will give you $XX.00 for it, and I don't care whether you take it or not..." I was with him at a garage sale and a very nice antique end table was marked $15.00. He told the seller he would give him $5.00, the seller said $10, Dad said $7 and I don't care whether... The seller said OK, and the deal was consummated immediately with cash. On the way out I said "Dad, that table is worth easily $50, why did you bother talking him down?" Dad said, well, he was asking $15 and he ended up selling for $7, how long did the negotiating take?" I said maybe one minute. Dad replied "$8 savings in one minute is equal to $480 per hour for just standing and talking, pretty good wages, don't you think?"

You will want to crank the table end to end and back to front. Ck for looseness, and tight spots if any , lock the table and try wiggling it in all directions. Run the machine in all speeds Ck feeds if it has them . Look at the ways for digs wear and sharp edges. They have been around I think as long as Bridgeport mills. Usually they weigh a bit more then the Bridgeport.. if it cks out well you can offer less , does it come with any tooling vise rotary table collets .

If I was you, you better jump on that mill!!!! That mill is in too nice of shape for the money. The only difference between the 645 and the 745 is the head. The 745 has a much nicer design better built head than the 645. I can still kick myself for passing on one two years ago near me for $1100! The lady sold it for $1600! And it needed a cleaning! Look like it has the 9" x 49" table, one shot lube, power table feed. no broken handles, nothing else broken, too. Looks like the original motor has been replace with a newer much better motor with a VFD, that makes it even a better deal. Not sure why they made a RPC for it, just run it off a VFD. That's how I run mine. That's a nice sweet mill there for the money! Ken

Back