Index 845 overhaul / broken tilt gear

Desertdog

Registered
Registered
Picked up this Index 845 mill a couple of months back and getting it torn down. First issue is the tilt gear that is torn up. Looks like it is only 4-5 teeth right where the worm drive hits it (someone didn't support the head when adjusting) so I will probably just rotate the bad section to the top and redrill the roll pin holes on it. The worm gear that drives it looks ok short of the twisted shaft. This one appears to be one piece, the few I have seen are 3 piece shaft, gear and key. Am I missing something? Were some one piece like this? Anybody have one?

Attachments

• GV9shwZ8RIyKntOqr24WMg.jpg
    GV9shwZ8RIyKntOqr24WMg.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • fullsizeoutput_fde.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_fde.jpeg
    805.3 KB · Views: 25
  • fullsizeoutput_fdf.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_fdf.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I have a 747 and have never looked at that part but Vintage machinery (can’t remember his name) has a YouTube video on re doing his. It’s a 3 piece part. Don’t know why you couldn’t make one like that.

I believe it is a three piece part in my 860. I have a replacement gear to install but haven't pulled the head as of yet - looks like a LOT of work.

As best that I can tell from the drawings it lists the gear (shows only one for all the machines - 747, 847 and 860) as RWK. Boston sprocket #KSU9-1

-Ron

I think the front/back tilt gear worm drive is 3 piece but this one isn't. I was not planning on a complete teardown but an old friend was in town and when we pulled a couple of parts off and saw the old baked on grease/oil sludge that started it. Have already found some bad bearings. The head has been soaking in kerosene for about a week. Pretty sure the bearings on the vertical drive train will need replacement too.

Problem with this machine is like a lot of others. It just wasn't properly maintained over its 60-70 years. It is pretty amazing that even with all the issues I have found the machine was running when I got it. All the gears short of the head tilt look ok so far.

This is the section of the manual I thought referrenced my head. I did contact Wells Index about cost. Haven't heard back yet, I may want to be sitting down when I read it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 8.47.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-11-12 at 8.47.47 AM.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 22
I'd cut the head off that worm gear mid-shaft, weld on a stub shaft, re-machine the shaft O.D. and flats, and be done with it. It is only loaded on when you tilt the head (and less when you support it like the manual says to do), so that ought to be a plenty good fix for the life of the machine.

I think your idea to clock and re-drill the driven gear is brilliant.

Keith Rucker mentions a Boston Gear number in the video I referenced above.

“I think your idea to clock and re-drill the driven gear is brilliant.”

Aren’t the two holes 180 degrees from each other? I would think you would just reinstall it with the damaged teeth on top.

I had the same problem with the gear on my Super 55. I just turned it 180 degrees so that part is never used, worked great. Mine broke because the rear bearing surface for the shaft had rusted and locked up, putting too much pressure on the gear when turned. I drilled the housing and added an oil hole there. Don't know how close yours is to a Super 55, probably not very from looking at the pictures.

Back