Index-able Boring Bars

Rockytime

Active User
Registered
Just received my order of index-able boring bars today. Five boring bars, 6-12mm with inserts for $29.99 and free shipping. Gave one a quick try in brass. Cuts like butter and hope it does the same with steel. This is the 6mm bar. Probably the max on the Sherline. Others will work on my MaxiMat7. I have several types of boring bars and my least favorite are brazed bars.

1-20170710_195655.jpg

Brazed bars are a nuisance. Maritool makes nice indexable bars in both steel and solid carbide in a variety of sizes.

I wound up making some bushings to adapt them to the qctp holders.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You can bore with a 1/2" indexable carbide bar at full extension (5" deep) on a Sherline lathe. The lathe is far more capable than many folks think.

I bought a similar (same) set from BangGood, for about $22, about 6 months ago. The boring bars came with 10, CCMT 21.51 inserts. I got a 6 mm, 8 mm, 10 mm and 12 mm boring bar, in the set. I've used them 3-4 times, since I got them, they have worked fine, so far

You can bore with a 1/2" indexable carbide bar at full extension (5" deep) on a Sherline lathe. The lathe is far more capable than many folks think.

I have confidence that the Sherline can handle it but not with the A2Z QCTP. I have lots of 1.25X1.25 aluminum bar stock to make dedicated holders which are much more rigid.

Agree that a better boring bar holder makes a big difference.

Back