Index Model 645 Manual

T. J.

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone have a manual for an Index Model 645 vertical mill?

I'm going to pick one up next weekend and would like to get an idea of how to manipulate the head and ram for rigging. My plan is to tram the head over and rest the motor on the table. Then pick it up with straps under the ram on either side of the pedestal. I have seen this described for a Bridgeport, so I'm hoping the Index can be handled similarly.

still looking......still NOT what you asked for, but here's a US army manual for the Index 747:

Attachments

• tm-9-3417-213-14-and-p.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
I don't see any problem with doing it the way you described. It would simplify things a bit if you had an eye bolt installed on the top of your ram but strapping should be fine. Make sure that you secure the straps so that they can't slip off the back side as the mill will be a bit front heavy.

When I got my mill a few years ago I didn't like the idea of lifting it by the ram (that's just me, like I said before, the eyelet on the ram is pretty standard) so I ended up lifting if from the bottom:

WIM004.JPG

Best of luck, and remember to take/post pics,

-Ron

When i had a index 745 I lifted it onto trailer with backhoe and straps on ram with head rotated motor down and knee all the way down. took it off with bobcat w forks under ram plywood between ram and forks. weight was all a 753 bobcat wanted. Hope it helps. P.S. with new mill I have BP clone I rented trailer made for moving heavy stuff bed goes all the way to ground and sits flat. winch on with comealong and strap as low on base as possible. Trailer cost $75 to rent well worth it no scary mill in the air.

ScrapMetal has a damn good rig on it, i'd take that route if you could .

Index is still in business and they usually have a manual available on eBay for sale. If they don't have one listed, call them or send a email, I bet they would put one in the mail for you for about $45. I have a copy for my 645 mill. It cannot easily be scanned due to the odd sheet sizes of the assemblies. Hey, for about $45 it's money well spent if you ask me. Ken

Edit: e-mail wellsindex@aol.com or call 231-759-0950

F.Y.I. The 745 is almost identical to the 645. The only difference is the head, everything else from the head down is the same.

Thanks for all the replies. ScrapMetal - I like that setup. I'll probably try something along those lines. I think loading it will be fairly easy - the seller has a hoist to lift it. Unloading it at home may be a different story. The lathes.co.uk site lists the shipping weight as 2100 lbs. If that is correct, I'll have to partially disassemble it since my tractor won't quite lift that much. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics. I may come home with some additional 'prizes' too, as he is selling a whole shop full of equipment!

T. J.

Thanks for all the replies. ScrapMetal - I like that setup. I'll probably try something along those lines. I think loading it will be fairly easy - the seller has a hoist to lift it. Unloading it at home may be a different story. The lathes.co.uk site lists the shipping weight as 2100 lbs. If that is correct, I'll have to partially disassemble it since my tractor won't quite lift that much. I'll be sure to take plenty of pics. I may come home with some additional 'prizes' too, as he is selling a whole shop full of equipment!

T. J.

Just a FYI if you try to follow what I've done. Make sure you have a strap (horizontal around the column) securing the two vertical straps to the column up high. I did it this way in case the setup was too top heavy and the machine might try to take a nose dive. With the straps constrained above the center of gravity the mill wouldn't be able to shift.

Best of luck,

-Ron

Back