Index Model 645 Mill

OK fellas, I'm looking for some more advise. I'm about to start on the head of the machine. I have already removed the large bracket from the right side and the 'nod' worm gear. The thing is really heavy and unwieldy on the bench, so I was thinking about cleaning the outside up, putting the 'nod' bracket back on, then mounting it back on the ram. I would then disassemble the quill/spindle, and quill feed gear box as necessary. Do ya'll think that is possible? I can't see anything so far to make me think it wouldn't work, but I'd rather not put the head on the machine, then have to take it back off!

Your that far, I'd go ahead and tear down the rest of the head, clean, then go back together. The feed box is a little tedious but not hard. May need to replace some of the bearings in the feed box.
I would definitely tear down the spindle, clean out all of the crud, inspect the bearings. My last set of bearings cost $250. Maybe able to get a hold of an set on ebay lot cheaper. May need to do some repair to the bearing nut on bottom of the spindle. I had to do some modifying to mine. I run Lubriplate 105 grease in. But it gets oil mixed in with the grease to the point that most of the grease has oozed out. Suggest oil feed from the top of spindle. Run a shielded bearing on top so the oil can pass thru to the spindle lower bearings.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I got to spend some time on it this evening and I got most of the crud off of the head. Here's some before and after pics. :big grin:
IMG_0439.JPG IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0445.JPG IMG_0446.JPG IMG_0447.JPG

For the shaft, I'd weld it or better yet, make a new one.
Mark S.

Great job on the restoration. Your going to know that machine inside out by the time your done. Cheers, Mike

Well, I opened up the spindle feed gear box. I was happy to find that all the grease was still soft and clean. All of the gears are in great condition and everything turns freely. I think I can skip disassembling it and just repack it with grease.
IMG_0451.JPG

The color of that grease makes it appear to have been contaminated with water, no?

Looks like your doing a jam up job T.J. My hats off to you guy. One thing I would like to mention in the area of safety. I would be real careful using the light chain that I see in your pictures. Unless my eyes deceive me, that looks like a light weight decorative type chain. A good sling or choker would be a lot safer and easier to use.

Good luck to you,

Back