Index Model 645 Mill

It's been a busy summer and my progress has been slow on the mill, but I'm back on it now. My current task is disassembling the quill. I have gotten the lock nut and the bearing preload nut off of the bottom end (after a lot of effort). Now what? The drawing shows something called a bearing removal ring that could be accessed via the plugged hole on the side of the quill. It's not apparent to me how this would be used though. It looks to me like the spindle could be pressed out from either end, but I don't want to mash on it until I know for sure.

definitely water in that grease mine looked like that when I tore it apart.You can probably get a new spring from Wells /Index they still have certain parts but at what cost .

I finally got the spindle out! Here is the apparatus I used. It's a piece of 1/2" all-thread run through the spindle with some wooden blocks bearing on the quill.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

This was enough to get it broken free where I could tap it the rest of the way out. I still need to get the top bearing out. The two bottom bearings are in pretty good shape, but I will go ahead and replace them unless they are outrageously expensive.

After you settle down from pricing the bearing set, I have a extra set here I'll Let go for $125 if you are interested in them.

Thanks Ken, PM on the way. :D

Its gonna be real nice wen you get thru with it, worth the effort. You know, its hard to believe someone would let a peace of equipment like that get that filthy. Doesn't cost much to clean it every once in a while.

IMG_0234.JPGIt's getting closer! :cool 2:

The head is mostly back together. I ordered a couple of R-8 spindle keys from W-I a couple of weeks ago, but my order got lost. Hopefully it'll be here this week. Then I can reassemble the quill with the bearings that I got from Ken. I'll pick up some electrical cord and new belts tomorrow. Chips coming soon!

I was able to heat and bend a new hook in the counterbalance spring. A new one is $108, so I thought I'd try fixing the old one first. Once I get the quill in, we'll see if it holds up. There was approximately 8 inches broken off.
IMG_0231.JPG
IMG_0232.JPG

I was able to heat and bend a new hook in the counterbalance spring. A new one is $108

Wow........The original pictures of that old one made it look like it was garbage....so rusty and broken.
Nice save!

-brino

Back