Index Model 645 Mill

One thing I like about Well Index mills, they use a number of stock gears in their design with a few specials like this one. You might be able to match up part of it to something stock out there. Highly unlikely, never know until you try.

A name brand Servo unit is more than I want to spend, but it looks like the Align (Taiwan) and ALGS (China) brands are reasonable options. There are several threads here on H-M talking about them.

The Boston Gear catalog is pretty detailed about their offerings. I just need to take some more detailed measurements on the gear when I get time.

Well, the gear may not be as much of an oddity as I thought. I took some measurements of the gear and made a drawing last night.
IMG_0339.JPG

While at first glance, the worm appears to be 3 tpi, measuring the distance between adjacent threads gives a lead of 0.305". After consulting Machinery's Handbook and the Boston Gear catalog, I did some calculations, I came up with this (also making some allowances for the fact that my measurements were taken from worn parts). The worm gear has a pitch diameter of 2 inches and diametral pitch of 10. This is a stock gear from BG:
http://www.bostongear.com/ecatalog?cid=worm_gears&id=GB1060A

My thoughts are that I could machine the gear teeth off of the original part down to a diameter of around 1". Then on the new gear, remove the protruding hub and bore it out to be a press fit onto the turned down section of the original part. It would probably need to be pinned in place. What do ya'll think? I've placed RFQ with Boston Gear, so we'll see how much it costs.

Last edited:
You should try to make this work. Your machine is more valuable with the stock drive system, no matter what must be done to repair it.

I got a quote on the part from Boston Gear through a local distributor today. It was $105.00. I guess that's not bad considering it's bronze.

For now, I'm going to finish assembling the power feed with the worn out gear and try it out. If it's not going to work, then I'll make the decision on which way to go from there.

I've gotta replace the bearings in the motor and then it will be ready to mount back on the mill. Then I will need to fix the drive shaft before I can test it.

One now wonders if any of the 'scrap' gear boxes that we have laying around, especially the Boston brand might just have one of these in it...

-EDIT- Added image. I can't believe I was able to run out into the shop and find this. Can't find the calipers from last night, but found this...
Have no idea where the cover is...
1517283733022.png

Last edited:
Back