Index Model 645 Story

indexguy

Registered
Registered
This mill was given to me about 15 years ago by the owner of a small pattern shop that we would farm work out to when our pattern shop couldn`t keep up. I mentioned to him I was looking for a mill and he replied that I should come over to his shop. He had a Index mill that he was going to scrap because the motor had burned out and it wasn`t big enough for their use anymore. I wasn`t expecting alot for a free mill, but other than the motor, the thing was in pretty decent shape. It had a few warts, the lever for engaging the quill feed was broken off and brake lever assembly was missing, but there wasn`t a drill hole or cutter mark on the table and minimal backlash in either direction. I hauled it home, took the motor in and $400 later had a rewound motor and a static phase converter. I installed a new quill feed lever, brake lever and a quill stop/vernier from Wells-Index and I had a good working mill. They sent me the build card for the mill which was awesome ! It was built in 1966 and delivered to Midwest Pattern Co. in Milwaukee, WI on 9-30-66. I since added a power drawbar and a VFD.20171013_172125.jpg20171014_133628.jpg20171014_133636.jpgKwik Change 2 .jpgKwik Change 7 .jpgVFD.jpgKwik Change 8 .jpgView attachment 285334

I just found one near me which is in incredible shape. very smooth, VFD, Power Feed, R8, 12"knee and came with a slitter attachment. Very reasonable price to, debating on it as it will max out the space I have. It has a ship date of 3/9/66. Every time I see one, I want it more and more.

They are nice machines to work with. Our mills were manufactured only 6 months apart. I gotta get a power feed and dro for mine yet.

Back