Index Universal Shaping Head

Flyrod

Registered
Registered
a model 645 is advertised as having this head: Index Universal Shaping Head

uklathe says:

"Able to be "nodded" forwards and backwards (across the table) through 45 degrees from its central point the "Universal" head could also be rotated through a complete circle on the end of the ram."

and later

"a slotting head to mount on the rear of the ram" as an option

does anyone have info on this option? .... I am trying to figure out if the head is original to the machine...? would there be a data plate or other way to verify

as a side note...I currently have an Index model 40

Do you folks think a 645 is sufficiently bigger machine to Warrant a change?

I guess the reason I ask is that when I mill things Of any substance always have to take pretty small cuts To make sure I don't Out do the machine

I'm hobbyist so I don't have to do bigger items But I'm thinking it might be nice to have that ability and be to be able to do the things I currently do with bigger cuts at a time

Hi Guys

Well just to close this out and answer a couple of my own questions in case it helps others

1. According to W-I, the 645 is "double" the machine a model 40 is and an 847 is about "a third again" as much machine as the 645 is - I don't know if that was a technical answer in terms of capacity, torque, etc. but it gives a sense

2. the slotting head option is apparently very rare...oddly enough, the factory says the government has recently ordere "a few" machines with this option - on current machines, this is a $15,000 option ... no typos in that number - what is does is it is an entirely separate second station on the machine - it mounts at the back of the ram, has its own motor and controls and basically crates a sewing machine type stroke to cut keyways and braoches - the stroke is vertical, but that second head can be rotated to 90deg - to use this, you swing the entire head around so this station is now above the table

I'll send more pics and info later because....of course...I had to pull the trigger and get it! - Hey...it was made the same year I was...how could I refuse?!

s-l1600 (4).jpgs-l1600 (5).jpg

Good you got it! The 40 is a very good start and a 645 is a much heftier machine.
I don't believe you'll regret it.

Nice find! I think you'll be happy with the 645. I knew that slotting heads existed, but that's the first one I've seen.

Looks like someone has upgraded the crank handles too!

Machine arrived...starting to assess...more pictures...much like the original ones:

Photos

Initial observations:

1. quill travels freely

2. spindle turns

3. table feeds work

Many questions to come! Thanks

Hi Guys

Is it possible to replace the various bearings in the Knee assembly without taking the knee off?

I bought the manual ($75!!) and it does not contain a diagram for Assembly 9080 - Knee

I have attached photos of the 3 bearings (I think) that are at issue - one is out at the handle (this is the back side) one for the handle shaft and one at the top of the lead screw?

if someone could share the diagram or help out...much appreciated!

Back