Indexable Endmill - Rusnok Mill

Eb50

Registered
Registered
Hello All, I am a newbe to posting on the forum. Thank you for having me.

I think I have thuroughly searched the forum on this subject with no luck. I am working with a Rusnok Mill with the largest capacity collet of 9/16”. I am trying to find an indexable endmill in the size of 1”1/4” x 9/16” with a straight shank. I prefer a tool with only two indexes/cutters. I will use this combination for only light surface work on 303 stainless. I am flexible on the size. It could be 1”1/8” x 1/2”, for example. Bigger than 1” with the shank diameter of 1/2” or 9/16”.

I appreciate any assistance that the members can offer.

That's a pretty small mill. I haven't even seen one but the pics and videos show it to be small, light and maybe not too rigid. Inserted carbide would probably not be the best option. What are you trying to achieve?

That's a pretty small mill. I haven't even seen one but the pics and videos show it to be small, light and maybe not too rigid. Inserted carbide would probably not be the best option. What are you trying to achieve?
I am trying to create surface groves in on the face of a putter. The putter is 303 stainless. I think the machine is capable of light surface work with such tooling. Not 100% sure, but hopeful.

I don't mean to be dense but you originally stated you wanted a 1-1/4" inserted carbide end mill - that is going to cut one hell of a groove in a putter face. Regardless, on a small mill like that, a huge cutter like that is going to be too much. Did you get the size wrong in your original post?

Hello All, I am a newbe to posting on the forum. Thank you for having me.

I think I have thuroughly searched the forum on this subject with no luck. I am working with a Rusnok Mill with the largest capacity collet of 9/16”. I am trying to find an indexable endmill in the size of 1”1/4” x 9/16” with a straight shank. I prefer a tool with only two indexes/cutters. I will use this combination for only light surface work on 303 stainless. I am flexible on the size. It could be 1”1/8” x 1/2”, for example. Bigger than 1” with the shank diameter of 1/2” or 9/16”.

I appreciate any assistance that the members can offer.
Have you considered a flycutter? Not too hard to make
I have looked at that option. I can find a flycutter with 1/2” shank and large diameter, which would fit the machine. Not sure if it would achieve the same results as an endmill. I need some help with that question. I assume that there is some difference in the results between the tools. Thanks!

Depending on your speed and feed and how you grind the cutter, you can get a pretty extreme range of surface finishes out of a fly cutter.

Are you trying to put in V grooves on the face of the putter or when you say grooves are you referring to the milled finish?

I don't mean to be dense but you originally stated you wanted a 1-1/4" inserted carbide end mill - that is going to cut one hell of a groove in a putter face. Regardless, on a small mill like that, a huge cutter like that is going to be too much. Did you get the size wrong in your original post?
I’m sure I’m the dense one. I may have erred, but let me explain. The actual inserts will be quite small, to create the grooves. The distance between the inserts needs to be in excess of 1” to achieve the desired circular effect. Attached to a 1/2” or 9/16” straight shank.

Depending on your speed and feed and how you grind the cutter, you can get a pretty extreme range of surface finishes out of a fly cutter.

Are you trying to put in V grooves on the face of the putter or when you say grooves are you referring to the milled finish?
Thank you. V grooves. What are your thoughts on attempting to use the fly cutter with a bench top mill.

I'm sure I don't know what you're trying to do. If the grooves need to be circular in shape then a flycutter-type tool might work. If they are straight lines then you may be better off using small solid carbide end mills suitable for use in SS. Do you have a picture or drawing of what you need to do?

Back