Indexable insert for S.S. and Titanium?

SmokeWalker

Registered
Registered
Hey Folks,

Can I get some recommendations for an indexable insert I can use to thread some 7/16-40 pieces in 303 and Gr. 5 Ti? I've got quite a few to do, and the job is big enough that it's time to invest in some indexable tooling.

I'll need inserts and a 3/8" shank holder.

Smoke.

I would start here https://www.amazon.com/AccusizeTool...762&s=gateway&sprefix=accusize,aps,194&sr=8-6

I have found the Accusize insert holders to be a pretty good value. I use them both on my manual and CNC lathes. The only problem I have had is the 3/4 shank parting tool wasn't quite up to the task on the CNC lathe.

For inserts I have been buying from Shars. https://www.shars.com/products/indexable-cutting/indexable-inserts

I can't tell any difference in those vs. the high prices name brand names.

The 3/8" shank holder is limiting, also need rigidity. You might look at the Shar's holder, assume you want an external right hand.

Depending on the thread pitch, I would recommend a 16ER AG60 (A60 is for finer pitch), haven't tried the Shar's inserts but tried Cobra brand on a different threading holder and they broke very easily. On Lay down inserts I have been using Carmex (Iscar) and I have done quite a few threads with the same insert and still on the same cutting tip. I also have some Mitsubishi MMT VP15TF-16ER-AG60 inserts that I haven't used yet, they supposedly give cleaner cuts with less vibration. Might work better on SS and Titanium, you will need to take sufficient cut depth per pass due to work hardening of the metal. I prefer the lay down type inserts for threading, they seem to be more durable and I get very clean threading finish.

If you were machining lots of parts you’d use different grades of inserts for stainless and titanium but for small quantities most cheap coated inserts should do the job. And you can use these on other jobs in the future. There’s a HUGE range of shapes and grades to choose from. If you want to get your head around the world of inserts try this document over on the Bridgeport Mill group: https://groups.io/g/BridgeportMill/...ades/DS30 - Inserts for indexable tooling.pdf (not sure if you need to be a member).

For threading, be aware that you might need left or right hand inserts (and matching holders) depending on whether you are OD or ID threading and whether you are cutting to a left or right shoulder.

Go for the largest holder your machine will take as this maximises the stiffness. And buy a holder that takes cheap and easily obtainable inserts rather than tie yourself to one supplier. The big name suppliers all produce excellent inserts that in my experience last longer than the the cheap no-brands, but for home workshop use this difference is minor compared with the cost.

Could I put in a plea to treat inserts as *recyclable* rather than disposable: save your worn out tips and mail them to a carbide recycler - tungsten is quite a rare metal and it’s a shame to send it to landfill!

Mal
AKA The Felsted Skiver

If you have a lot of stainless and Ti to do then it will pay to buy good inserts and a tool holder that beds the insert precisely. I would suggest looking at Carmex tools and their BLU inserts in particular. I think an AG60 laydown insert will work well, at least in my experience. A Carmex tool holder is $20.00 more than a Shars holder and if I were going to do a lot of threading then I would go for a known good tool holder and inserts.

I apologize I have nothing valuable to add, but I am in the process of doing internal and external threading in Ti. I have read RT9010 is the material insert I (we?) Should be using. They are available on ebay like everything else. WE seems to be another (easier) animal to deal with. Can anyone she'd some like on insert materials?

I have been using the Carmex AG60 inserts in a wide range of materials and they have held up very well, the coating material varies but it is more the cutter profile that will make a difference. I also have some of the Mitsubishi VP15TF AG60 inserts that are specific for difficult to machine alloys, but have not used them yet (I am still using the same Carmex insert after about 100+ threads). I purchased the Mitsubishi from the dealer below which states they are authentic, but you can also try Carbide Depot. I use to break threading inserts all the time with other types of holders, switching to lay down type with Carmex inserts I have yet to break an insert even with deep threading. My threading holders are also from Carmex, which is a rebranding of Iscar.

Attachments

• Mitsubishi inserts for difficult to machine alloys.pdf
    627.9 KB · Views: 10
Hey Folks,

Can I get some recommendations for an indexable insert I can use to thread some 7/16-40 pieces in 303 and Gr. 5 Ti? I've got quite a few to do, and the job is big enough that it's time to invest in some indexable tooling.

Smoke.
I started with grade 5 and very quickly decided I should be working with grade 2. Is there a reason that you must use (I think that is 6AL4V) grade 5?

Hey Folks,

Smoke.
I,m a builder of metal yachts, what, please what is an indexing lathe tool( dont larf too loudly) and can someone point me to a straight hss holder American style

I,m a builder of metal yachts, what, please what is an indexing lathe tool( dont larf too loudly) and can someone point me to a straight hss holder American style
Good Lord! Can you even knick Titanium with HSS?? Hopefully I never have to try!

Back