Indexable parting blade woes

Hello harrzack,
I concur with kioni5004, if you can run the blade upside down then you will eliminate the tendancy to dig in. You may have to fabricate something as the couple of pictures I attach will show. Please excuse the unfinished appearance this was knocked up fast as all I had to hand was scrap.
The blade is a Widex 25mm, that means the blade is 32mm wide,(the 25mm is the measurment from the base of the blade to the cutting edge of the insert),my lathe takes 16mm tooling so I needed to hold the blade above the top of the toolpost.
Things of particular importance when parting are: Is the blade square to the lathe axis? Regardless of anything else this is critical! Set your toolpost holder by placing a tool holder in place and set it against your chuck. Quick, easy and the first thing to do WHENEVER you fit a parting blade.
Next thing that I'd recommend is when you have determined the place you are about to part LOCK THE SADDLE.
When using Carbide tips, Don't dawdle! They like to get stuck in and if you set up the right conditions they will last and give great servive.
If you do run upside down another advantage is that the swarfh just falls straight down. I've also found that I do not need to flood cool.
Hope this helps.
- Barry
A 32 MM parting tool, this is impressive (-:

Have you thought of maybe trying to part upside down blade coming down from above instead of the normal way its supposed to be less pressure on the tool there's a few videos on YouTube on the subject I would link them but can't seem to do it on my phone

Parting appears to be a problem operation for many.
I do it this way, square the tool with an indicator then set the tool height by facing of a part then adjusting the height until the nub disappears. Part as close to the spindle as possible.

Choose a conservative speed and feed and have at it then increase the speed if it works well. Flood coolant is required.

Last Thursday morning, 1" diameter 304 stainless, 36 pieces parted to center with a back chamfer, 750 RPM's, .001 " per revolution feed rate. 3-Jaw chuck, Aloris QCTP, Koycera clamp down insert tool.
Yes this is a CNC lathe however being so does not make it better just faster and easier to use, I could run the same op on a manual machine but it would take longer.

Back