Indexable tool holders

newbydave

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
What type of metal would one use to make indexable tool holders

I usually use 4140 or Maybe drillrod and harden it. You need something that is regit enough. 817M40T - EN24T is also a good material to use. Maybe someone else have something els in mind.

Michael

It depends on what you are doing. On a small lathe taking moderate cuts (say .015 and ,025), you can use cold rolled or virtually any steel you have access to.

If you have a bigger machine and tend to take 'hogging' cuts, then you need to make them with as much cross section as you can and heat treat them to get the minimum flex. 4140 is a good choice.

Is there not a commercially available tool in the configuration you require?

Making an insert tool makes sense if no manufacturer produces what you need, otherwise buy one as it will be far less expensive then making one.

Just an opinion but the rigidity of a tool holder depends primarily on its size and cross section. The Modulus of Elasticity of steel is such that it doesn't matter if the tool is hardened or not. However, harder materials will resist wear better over the long run.

On the other hand, tool holders for inserts are so cheap nowadays that it might be better to just buy one.

Let me preface my comments by saying, I love machining and understand people desire to machine and use there equipment, and if iits spending 3 hours to make a $5 item is what make you happy so be it.

I make many things, like parts for a arbor press that were no longer available, or a shaft for an obsolete machine, but what I won’t do is spend 2-3 hours and use up tooling, for something I can buy for less than $20. I have more than enough work to last me the rest of my lifetime, even if nothing else crops up. Will I spend 2-3 hours to make a $100 part, yes I probably would, but to me my time is far to expensive to diddle around with small stuff.

I understand:

Pride in making something

Gaining experience with your tools

Wanting it/needing now

A custom part

When I can buy tool blocks all day long from CDCO (bought hundreds), Shars and others for $11 to $15 each and have them in 2-3 days, why bother trying to make them.

Maybe I’m the only one on the site that feels this way, again I’m not demeaning anyone, if that what you want to do, then do it, I just don’t see the rationale.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m the only one on the site that feels this way, again I’m not demeaning anyone, if that what you want to do, then do it, I just don’t see the rationale.
I certainly agree with you Jack. But some of us just like to make tools. Sometimes I do, too. And, yes, I do understand that you agree with that, to a point. I am with you on that approach, and on getting some parts made instead..

Greetings newbydave, i have used 1018 cold rolled to make 3/8" square indexable holders. One was for holding a ccmt point straight out, the other is for using the other 2 unused corners. Both work just as well as my store bought holders. I have a milling attachment for my lathe so it was fairly easy.
Have some fun learning and making what ever you need or want.

Back